Team is chosen to spearhead efforts to boost Saffron Walden town centre trade
A 12-strong team has been selected to spearhead efforts to boost town centre trade in Saffron Walden.
The Saffron Walden Town Team is made up of local traders, business people and elected officials. It aims to encourage more people to shop in the town and ensure it remains a vibrant and prosperous place to work, shop, visit and live.
The creation of a Town Team was identified as a ‘key action’ following a series of meetings held between traders, Uttlesford District Council and Saffron Walden Town Council.
Market research and ‘mystery shopper’ visits have already been carried out to help create an accurate picture of what the town needs.
And the newly created Town Team’s first task will be to agree and deliver a Town Centre Action Plan which will help implement new ideas to boost trade.
The district council’s economic development officer, Simon Jackson, said: “We had a tremendous response to the call for volunteers to come forward and be part of the Town Team.
“The town centre now has a team of highly experienced and motivated people who are passionate about the future of Saffron Walden fighting its corner.
- 1 Debden man fundraising for Mind with 480km walk
- 2 Uttlesford Local Plan delay 'necessary' say councillors
- 3 Teen arrested for 'terrorism offences' at Stansted Airport
- 4 Dane's 10 day walk home with only a backpack
- 5 Junior Fencer from Saffron Walden wins silver at England Championship
- 6 The Railway Arms awarded CAMRA county pub of the year
- 7 Saffron Walden draw positives at Witham
- 8 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 9 How well do you know the Gibson Library?
- 10 Tea party celebrates Saffron Walden Museum volunteers
“But to be successful they will need the active support of as many people as possible who share their passion.”
Simon Lloyd, Clerk to Saffron Walden Town Council, said: “It is very exciting to see this extremely talented group come together and we look forward to really taking the town forward and capitalising on the group’s expertise.”
Mr Jackson added that he team will meet for the first time next week to agree how it will operate before getting down to the business of making things happen in the town centre.
It will also appoint a chairman to lead the team as it faces up to the challenges ahead and an announcement on who that person is will be made next week.
The members of the Town Team are:
• Jennifer Budden of Hand Picked & Gorgeous
• Wendy Howell of Design Essentials
• Petra Slack of Petrus
• David Reed of T Reed & Son
• Malcolm Domb of Waitrose
• Tanya Scott of Beales
• Jonathan Howe of Bonhunt Architects
• Nicola Slade of Mocha
• Cllr Keith Eden of Saffron Walden Town Council
• Cllr Howard Rolfe of Uttlesford District Council
• Richard Roberts of Mullucks Wells and
• David Law of SAKS