Ten injured in coach crash
TEN PEOPLE were injured when a coach collided with a wall in Little Chesterford on Sunday.
Two crews from Saffron Walden attended the scene on Walden Road at 9.30am. Firefighters reported that the coach had left the roadway, collided with a wall and that five people were medically trapped and that there were an additional five walking wounded.
Sub officer Nigel Webb said: “Crews worked hard in the snow to release the casualties as quickly as possible. We were originally called to a fuel spill but when we arrived at the scene it was clear that there were multiple injuries.
“One woman had been thrown from her seat and we found her on the floor in between seats on the coach. A window had to be removed to release her. There were four others trapped by their injuries and firefighters worked alongside ambulance crews, taking medical advice to ensure casualties were removed appropriately.
“We are not sure how the accident happened but there did not appear to be any other vehicles involved. The coach had left the roadway and gone into a flint wall.”
You may also want to watch:
Of the ten injured four were taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital with what the ambulance service described as non life-threatening injuries.
Ambulance service spokesman Gary Sanderson said: “We believe the minibus was in collision with a roadside wall. A total of four patients have been conveyed to the Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridgeshire with non life threatening injuries.”
- 1 Affinity Water: No compensation for customers in water softening row
- 2 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 3 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 4 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 5 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 6 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 7 Coronavirus one year on: Stansted suffers 95% drop in passengers
- 8 Actor Ray Winstone's video appeal helps double air ambulance's 'brick' sales
- 9 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
- 10 Your opinion matters: Help to shape the future of your newspaper
Walden Road was closed in both directions while the scene was cleared.