Ten injured in coach crash
TEN PEOPLE were injured when a coach collided with a wall in Little Chesterford on Sunday.
Two crews from Saffron Walden attended the scene on Walden Road at 9.30am. Firefighters reported that the coach had left the roadway, collided with a wall and that five people were medically trapped and that there were an additional five walking wounded.
Sub officer Nigel Webb said: “Crews worked hard in the snow to release the casualties as quickly as possible. We were originally called to a fuel spill but when we arrived at the scene it was clear that there were multiple injuries.
“One woman had been thrown from her seat and we found her on the floor in between seats on the coach. A window had to be removed to release her. There were four others trapped by their injuries and firefighters worked alongside ambulance crews, taking medical advice to ensure casualties were removed appropriately.
“We are not sure how the accident happened but there did not appear to be any other vehicles involved. The coach had left the roadway and gone into a flint wall.”
Of the ten injured four were taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital with what the ambulance service described as non life-threatening injuries.
Ambulance service spokesman Gary Sanderson said: “We believe the minibus was in collision with a roadside wall. A total of four patients have been conveyed to the Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridgeshire with non life threatening injuries.”
- 1 District Council leader John Lodge to step down next week
- 2 Thaxted community in shock after fatal house fire
- 3 Keep your chimney clean warning after blaze in Ashdon
- 4 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 5 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 6 Community helps with tree planting at Lime Avenue, Saffron Walden
- 7 MP Kemi Badenoch launches 'Buy One More Toy Appeal' for Christmas support
- 8 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 9 Villagers rally behind Elsenham Christmas Market
- 10 Walden has late night shopping and musicians
Walden Road was closed in both directions while the scene was cleared.