Tesco quashes rumours it has no intention of extending store
SPECULATION that Tesco has no intention of extending its existing store on Radwinter Road – despite being granted planning permission in 2010 – has been quashed by the supermarket giant.
Rumours have been rife that the decision to submit an application was a deliberate ploy to derail Sainsbury’s plans for a new superstore and petrol station in Thaxted Road, although the firm has denied this.
Louise Gosling, corporate affairs manager at Tesco, told the Reporter: “We want to expand the store to bring a better service to our customers in Saffron Walden.
“We know people in the town are keen to see the extension come forward and we remain committed to bringing them an improved store, more staff and better products as soon as possible.”
She said the company had a large development plan across the UK and stressed that it was not possible to build all of its projects at once, with some taking priorities over others.
You may also want to watch:
“We realise this is frustrating for customers but hope they will bear with us,” she added.
- 1 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 2 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 3 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 4 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 5 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100
- 6 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 7 Stansted Airport's summer getaway flight figures
- 8 Spurs partnership with Walden clubs is a first in UK
- 9 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 10 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays