Tesco quashes rumours it has no intention of extending store
SPECULATION that Tesco has no intention of extending its existing store on Radwinter Road – despite being granted planning permission in 2010 – has been quashed by the supermarket giant.
Rumours have been rife that the decision to submit an application was a deliberate ploy to derail Sainsbury’s plans for a new superstore and petrol station in Thaxted Road, although the firm has denied this.
Louise Gosling, corporate affairs manager at Tesco, told the Reporter: “We want to expand the store to bring a better service to our customers in Saffron Walden.
“We know people in the town are keen to see the extension come forward and we remain committed to bringing them an improved store, more staff and better products as soon as possible.”
She said the company had a large development plan across the UK and stressed that it was not possible to build all of its projects at once, with some taking priorities over others.
You may also want to watch:
“We realise this is frustrating for customers but hope they will bear with us,” she added.
- 1 Sam Smith to headline charity festival fundraising to fight food poverty
- 2 Families take part in Gain the Miles challenge
- 3 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 4 Care home residents and staff receive Covid-19 vaccine
- 5 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 6 Historic structures on Uttlesford heritage list
- 7 Laptops, iPads and Chromebooks being sent to let children learn remotely
- 8 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 9 Covid vaccinations given at the Lord Butler
- 10 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport