Tesco quashes rumours it has no intention of extending store
SPECULATION that Tesco has no intention of extending its existing store on Radwinter Road – despite being granted planning permission in 2010 – has been quashed by the supermarket giant.
Rumours have been rife that the decision to submit an application was a deliberate ploy to derail Sainsbury’s plans for a new superstore and petrol station in Thaxted Road, although the firm has denied this.
Louise Gosling, corporate affairs manager at Tesco, told the Reporter: “We want to expand the store to bring a better service to our customers in Saffron Walden.
“We know people in the town are keen to see the extension come forward and we remain committed to bringing them an improved store, more staff and better products as soon as possible.”
She said the company had a large development plan across the UK and stressed that it was not possible to build all of its projects at once, with some taking priorities over others.
You may also want to watch:
“We realise this is frustrating for customers but hope they will bear with us,” she added.
- 1 Conservative MP David Amess dies after being stabbed in Essex constituency
- 2 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 3 Tributes pour in after death of Essex MP Sir David Amess
- 4 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 5 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 6 Mission Impossible and Top Gun star Tom Cruise spotted flying at Duxford
- 7 Guitar once owned by Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett to be sold at Cambridge auction
- 8 Thaxted - Carver Scout Group visit an Apache helicopter
- 9 It's pumpkin picking season again at Cammas Hall Farm as Halloween approaches
- 10 Creamfields Chelmsford 2022 tickets to go on sale this month