Tesco quashes rumours it has no intention of extending store
SPECULATION that Tesco has no intention of extending its existing store on Radwinter Road – despite being granted planning permission in 2010 – has been quashed by the supermarket giant.
Rumours have been rife that the decision to submit an application was a deliberate ploy to derail Sainsbury’s plans for a new superstore and petrol station in Thaxted Road, although the firm has denied this.
Louise Gosling, corporate affairs manager at Tesco, told the Reporter: “We want to expand the store to bring a better service to our customers in Saffron Walden.
“We know people in the town are keen to see the extension come forward and we remain committed to bringing them an improved store, more staff and better products as soon as possible.”
She said the company had a large development plan across the UK and stressed that it was not possible to build all of its projects at once, with some taking priorities over others.
You may also want to watch:
“We realise this is frustrating for customers but hope they will bear with us,” she added.
- 1 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 2 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 3 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 4 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 5 First day at school after beating Covid-19 while being treated for cancer
- 6 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 7 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 8 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 9 Walden church open and taking part in Thy Kingdom Come
- 10 Former Mayor looking forward to lockdown easing