1st Thaxted-Carver assistant group Scout Leader runs equivalent of 42 marathons in 42 consecutive days - then adds further miles with 42KG on his back - to raise NHS cash
- Credit: Stephen Johnson
The Assistant Group Scout Leader at 1st Thaxted-Carver Scout Group has run over 1,110 miles around his garden - and raised £3,415 so far for the NHS.
Stephen Johnson, who also volunteers as Assistant Group Scout Leader at 2nd Braintree Bocking Air Scouts Group, has completed the equivalent of 42 marathons in 42 consecutive days, covering 1,101.9 miles followed by an additional 8.1 miles - a further 228 laps - carrying 42KG in weight in a bag on his back.
Stephen, a Sergeant in 13 Air Assault Support Regiment, based the fundraiser on the UK Four Nations Challenge, in which comedian Eddie Izzard completed 43 long distance runs within 52 days for Sports Relief in 2009.
Stephen said he’d acquired 11 blisters, a bruised toenail, pains in his achilles, his knee was strapped up. and he had taken a cold bath and done stretches every day. But he had completed 30,803 laps by running, jogging and walking.
Stephen said his wife Louise has multiple sclerosis and family members have received NHS care. Parents of Scouts are key workers including nurses and paramedics.
You may also want to watch:
“For Scouts, it’s our duty to support anyone who needs our help. Currently the NHS needs our full support through this pandemic, so as it’s in our Scouts DNA I thought I would show my support to them.”
In a recorded video message at the end of his challenge he said: “Thank you for all your generous donations. You have been absolutely superb.”
- 1 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 2 National award and recognition for work of a laughter specialist
- 3 Purse stolen from shopper's bag in Aldi supermarket, Walden
- 4 Delight as triathlon returns to Saffron Walden for 20th edition
- 5 Eco Market celebrates Essex's eco businesses on Great Big Green Week
- 6 Mencap 'thank you' for Dig It community allotment
- 7 Reporter wins award for Uttlesford news articles
- 8 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 9 Strong start for Saffron Walden as competitive rugby returns with a bang.
- 10 New cup and pavilion are dedicated to memory of Colin Bazley
There is still time to donate. Go to https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/stephen-johnson43