1st Thaxted-Carver assistant group Scout Leader runs equivalent of 42 marathons in 42 consecutive days - then adds further miles with 42KG on his back - to raise NHS cash
- Credit: Stephen Johnson
The Assistant Group Scout Leader at 1st Thaxted-Carver Scout Group has run over 1,110 miles around his garden - and raised £3,415 so far for the NHS.
Stephen Johnson, who also volunteers as Assistant Group Scout Leader at 2nd Braintree Bocking Air Scouts Group, has completed the equivalent of 42 marathons in 42 consecutive days, covering 1,101.9 miles followed by an additional 8.1 miles - a further 228 laps - carrying 42KG in weight in a bag on his back.
Stephen, a Sergeant in 13 Air Assault Support Regiment, based the fundraiser on the UK Four Nations Challenge, in which comedian Eddie Izzard completed 43 long distance runs within 52 days for Sports Relief in 2009.
Stephen said he’d acquired 11 blisters, a bruised toenail, pains in his achilles, his knee was strapped up. and he had taken a cold bath and done stretches every day. But he had completed 30,803 laps by running, jogging and walking.
Stephen said his wife Louise has multiple sclerosis and family members have received NHS care. Parents of Scouts are key workers including nurses and paramedics.
You may also want to watch:
“For Scouts, it’s our duty to support anyone who needs our help. Currently the NHS needs our full support through this pandemic, so as it’s in our Scouts DNA I thought I would show my support to them.”
In a recorded video message at the end of his challenge he said: “Thank you for all your generous donations. You have been absolutely superb.”
- 1 Free vegetarian meal service launched
- 2 Robbers leave with hundreds of pounds after threatening business staff
- 3 Long recycling centre queues into the road 'nearly cause accident'
- 4 Great Anglia named train operator of the year
- 5 Council responds to unflattering comments
- 6 Thefts from village cars cause hundreds of pounds in losses
- 7 St Clare Hospice 10k run set to take place this April
- 8 District council urged to cancel investment
- 9 Controversial investment is ethical, district councillors say
- 10 Aircraft museum celebrates 85 years since the Spitfire's maiden flight
There is still time to donate. Go to https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/stephen-johnson43