Thaxted hit by flash floods after heavy storms
- Credit: Archant
Flash flooding has hit homes, a primary school and caused a road to collapse after storms struck in the early hours of this morning.
Firefighters have been inundated with calls as heavy rain caused chaos in Thaxted. The flooding has affected the B184 and numerous properties.
Crews from Thaxted, Saffron Walden and Dunmow have been called to 20 flooding incidents and have been pumping out water from properties since 3am.
Cars were also left stranded in flood water on the B184.
Three neighbouring houses in Weaverhead Close were flooded, with one family remaining on the first floor of their property while firefighters pumped water from their home.
You may also want to watch:
The flood water was affecting the electrics and the electricity board was called to the incident to isolate the power.
Crews led five people to safety.
- 1 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 2 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 3 First day at school after beating Covid-19 while being treated for cancer
- 4 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 5 First business to sponsor Walden's Dance in the Square 2021
- 6 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 7 BID hears that shopping locally in Covid pandemic has helped Walden
- 8 Former Mayor looking forward to lockdown easing
- 9 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 10 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
Elsewhere, firefighters were called to pump out water from four cellars that had flooded in Watling Street.
Two cottages in Park Street had their basements flooded, while Thaxted Primary School, on Bardfield Road, had a flooded boiler house.
More to follow...