Thaxted hit by flash floods after heavy storms
- Credit: Archant
Flash flooding has hit homes, a primary school and caused a road to collapse after storms struck in the early hours of this morning.
Firefighters have been inundated with calls as heavy rain caused chaos in Thaxted. The flooding has affected the B184 and numerous properties.
Crews from Thaxted, Saffron Walden and Dunmow have been called to 20 flooding incidents and have been pumping out water from properties since 3am.
Cars were also left stranded in flood water on the B184.
Three neighbouring houses in Weaverhead Close were flooded, with one family remaining on the first floor of their property while firefighters pumped water from their home.
You may also want to watch:
The flood water was affecting the electrics and the electricity board was called to the incident to isolate the power.
Crews led five people to safety.
- 1 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 2 Walden documentary maker inspires students with astronomy animation
- 3 Walden's Crocus Medical Practice opens within community hospital
- 4 Official opening held for new air ambulance base
- 5 Affinity in hot water with residents after sediment build-up in homes
- 6 Juniors the toast of Saffron Walden Golf Club after double championship success
- 7 Dedicated children's hospital set for Cambridge
- 8 Review: Groan Ups is 'like a student sketch show stretched out over two hours'
- 9 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 10 5 of the best wedding venues in Essex
Elsewhere, firefighters were called to pump out water from four cellars that had flooded in Watling Street.
Two cottages in Park Street had their basements flooded, while Thaxted Primary School, on Bardfield Road, had a flooded boiler house.
More to follow...