Thaxted hit by flash floods after heavy storms
- Credit: Archant
Flash flooding has hit homes, a primary school and caused a road to collapse after storms struck in the early hours of this morning.
Firefighters have been inundated with calls as heavy rain caused chaos in Thaxted. The flooding has affected the B184 and numerous properties.
Crews from Thaxted, Saffron Walden and Dunmow have been called to 20 flooding incidents and have been pumping out water from properties since 3am.
Cars were also left stranded in flood water on the B184.
Three neighbouring houses in Weaverhead Close were flooded, with one family remaining on the first floor of their property while firefighters pumped water from their home.
You may also want to watch:
The flood water was affecting the electrics and the electricity board was called to the incident to isolate the power.
Crews led five people to safety.
- 1 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 2 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 3 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 4 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 5 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100
- 6 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 7 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 8 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 9 Stansted Airport's summer getaway flight figures
- 10 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
Elsewhere, firefighters were called to pump out water from four cellars that had flooded in Watling Street.
Two cottages in Park Street had their basements flooded, while Thaxted Primary School, on Bardfield Road, had a flooded boiler house.
More to follow...