Thaxted man to run for assistance dog charity
NATIONAL charity Canine Partners – which provides specially trained assistance dogs to people with disabilities – will benefit from the fundraising efforts of Thaxted man David Ives.
NATIONAL charity Canine Partners - which provides specially trained assistance dogs to people with disabilities - will benefit from the fundraising efforts of Thaxted man David Ives.
David has undertaken to complete The Great South Run in October and the Brighton Marathon to help fund a puppy being trained by Canine Partners in Essex.
Although referring to himself as leading a sedentary life, David was inspired to run for Canine Partners after seeing the difference the charity makes to the lives of people with disabilities.
He said: “Each dog is specifically trained to meet the needs of the individual no matter how challenging. They are trained to help with everyday tasks such as opening and shutting doors, unloading the washing machine, picking up dropped items, pressing buttons and switches and getting help in an emergency.
“But it is not just the practical help they bring, a canine partner also offers companionship, a sense of security and increased social interaction.
“It is amazing and quite humbling to see this human-canine partnership at work and the bond of love and trust they share.”
- 1 Consultation on traffic in Walden's Market Square ends on Monday
- 2 Proposed law which sparked Saffron Walden protests suffers House of Lords defeat
- 3 Derby fun for Wendens Ambo as they brush off logistical headache
- 4 Essex parents fear return to remote lessons amid school staff shortage
- 5 How are England's Covid restrictions changing after Plan B?
- 6 Fire and ambulance crews rescue after serious M11 crash
- 7 Walden author unveils third book, with a touching dedication
- 8 In pictures: the cute animals in January's Pets' Corner
- 9 East of England Tourism Awards 2021-2022: Large Visitor Attraction of the Year finalists
- 10 'We must learn to live with Covid' says health secretary on Plan B's end
To support David please visit justgiving.com/k9dave
If you fancy a bit of a challenge and would like to support Canine Partners in Essex by fundraising or volunteering, contact the fundraising office on 01245 608355.