Thaxted man to run for assistance dog charity
NATIONAL charity Canine Partners – which provides specially trained assistance dogs to people with disabilities – will benefit from the fundraising efforts of Thaxted man David Ives.
NATIONAL charity Canine Partners - which provides specially trained assistance dogs to people with disabilities - will benefit from the fundraising efforts of Thaxted man David Ives.
David has undertaken to complete The Great South Run in October and the Brighton Marathon to help fund a puppy being trained by Canine Partners in Essex.
Although referring to himself as leading a sedentary life, David was inspired to run for Canine Partners after seeing the difference the charity makes to the lives of people with disabilities.
He said: “Each dog is specifically trained to meet the needs of the individual no matter how challenging. They are trained to help with everyday tasks such as opening and shutting doors, unloading the washing machine, picking up dropped items, pressing buttons and switches and getting help in an emergency.
You may also want to watch:
“But it is not just the practical help they bring, a canine partner also offers companionship, a sense of security and increased social interaction.
“It is amazing and quite humbling to see this human-canine partnership at work and the bond of love and trust they share.”
- 1 Covid-19 fast-testing centre opens in Uttlesford for asymptomatic residents
- 2 Several Saffron Walden businesses 'permanently closed since pandemic'
- 3 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 4 'I can walk 500 miles' - chairman's Scottish celebrations during charity trek
- 5 Another planning application as previous rejection prepares for appeal
- 6 Council row over near £1 million underspend on road repairs
- 7 New Local Plan: 'Housing and transport should be planned together'
- 8 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 9 Essex County Council approves council tax increase
To support David please visit justgiving.com/k9dave
If you fancy a bit of a challenge and would like to support Canine Partners in Essex by fundraising or volunteering, contact the fundraising office on 01245 608355.