Thaxted residents celebrate Jubilee in style
HUNDREDS of residents in Thaxted have celebrated the Jubilee weekend in style.
Thaxted School children were all presented with commemorative coins during assembly on the Friday and on Saturday over 200 children and their families participated in a street party in Town Street. The road was closed for five hours and the families were entertained by live music, a children’s entertainer and face painters.
On Monday 120 seniors were served lunch, prepared by a team of local ladies from the town, in the church accompanied by the Thaxted Morris men and live music.
The weekend ended with a ‘bang’ with an evening of live music from local bands in a large marquee next to the windmill complete with bar, cooked food, fireworks and the lighting of the beacon.
Cllr Will Brazier, chairman of the organising committee, said: “It was always going to be ambitious to plan so many events over one weekend and it couldn’t have been done without the help of so many magnificent volunteers and the sponsorship of residents and businesses who offered some very generous donations.
You may also want to watch:
“We set out to provide a range of activities that would appeal to all ages and looked to involve as many people as possible from the community to put these events on. This transpired better then we could have imagined and the success of the weekend showed the true community spirit that exists in Thaxted.
“The council has had a tremendous amount of positive feedback which makes all of the hard work worthwhile. It was only made possible due to a lot of tireless hard work from a team of residents.”
- 1 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 2 Outdoor spaces help Uttlesford reclaim some normality
- 3 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 4 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 5 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 6 Robin Hood pantomime to celebrate Harlow Playhouse's 50th birthday this Christmas
- 7 National award and recognition for work of a laughter specialist
- 8 Purse stolen from shopper's bag in Aldi supermarket, Walden
- 9 'Not now, Bernard' - Children's concert to open Saffron Walden Symphony Orchestra's new season
- 10 Saffron Walden book giveaway on The Lorax's 50th birthday