The 800th anniversary year of the University of Cambridge is celebrated in new book
IN the 800th anniversary year of the University of Cambridge an Arkesden author has published a history of both the town and university – and he will be giving a talk about the book in Saffron Walden. Nicholas Chrimes book, Cambridge – Treasure Island
IN the 800th anniversary year of the University of Cambridge an Arkesden author has published a history of both the town and university - and he will be giving a talk about the book in Saffron Walden.
Nicholas Chrimes' book, Cambridge - Treasure Island in the Fens, is a 250-page, high quality, hardback with 60 illustrations.
Each of the book's chapters follows a theme on why the scholars came to Cambridge exactly 800 years ago, why the academic community flourished, how it accumulated so much wealth and so many privileges. There are also chapters on parish churches, chapels as well as on women, misbehaviour, sport and the university's impact on this country's culture.
Mr Chrimes is giving a 40-minute talk about the book in the theatre of Dame Bradbury's School, Ashton Road, Saffron Walden on Tuesday November 10 at 7.30pm. Tickets can be obtained from the school office, Saffron Walden Tourist Information Centre (TIC) on Market Square or directly from the author at email@example.com
You may also want to watch:
Price of entry covering a glass of wine is �2, all proceeds from which will be given to another outstanding Cambridge parish church, St. Botolph's in Trumpington Street.
Cambridge - Treasure Island in the Fens can be obtained from the Saffron Walden TIC and can also be bought on the web through paypal at www.cambridgebook.com
- 1 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 2 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 3 Law firm gains Customer Service Excellence award
- 4 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 5 Historic structures on Uttlesford heritage list
- 6 Covid vaccinations given at the Lord Butler
- 7 Essex County Council to discuss council tax increase of up to £40
- 8 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 9 Campaign seeks free products in Uttlesford's public buildings
- 10 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
It is priced at �20. For every copy sold, �1 will be given to the outstanding Pre Raphaelite church in Jesus Lane Cambridge.