The 800th anniversary year of the University of Cambridge is celebrated in new book
IN the 800th anniversary year of the University of Cambridge an Arkesden author has published a history of both the town and university – and he will be giving a talk about the book in Saffron Walden. Nicholas Chrimes book, Cambridge – Treasure Island
IN the 800th anniversary year of the University of Cambridge an Arkesden author has published a history of both the town and university - and he will be giving a talk about the book in Saffron Walden.
Nicholas Chrimes' book, Cambridge - Treasure Island in the Fens, is a 250-page, high quality, hardback with 60 illustrations.
Each of the book's chapters follows a theme on why the scholars came to Cambridge exactly 800 years ago, why the academic community flourished, how it accumulated so much wealth and so many privileges. There are also chapters on parish churches, chapels as well as on women, misbehaviour, sport and the university's impact on this country's culture.
Mr Chrimes is giving a 40-minute talk about the book in the theatre of Dame Bradbury's School, Ashton Road, Saffron Walden on Tuesday November 10 at 7.30pm. Tickets can be obtained from the school office, Saffron Walden Tourist Information Centre (TIC) on Market Square or directly from the author at email@example.com
You may also want to watch:
Price of entry covering a glass of wine is �2, all proceeds from which will be given to another outstanding Cambridge parish church, St. Botolph's in Trumpington Street.
Cambridge - Treasure Island in the Fens can be obtained from the Saffron Walden TIC and can also be bought on the web through paypal at www.cambridgebook.com
- 1 More than 600 want reopening of North Hall Road after nine months
- 2 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 3 Walden spruced up ahead of lockdown easing
- 4 Consultation launched ahead of Golden Acre Play Area upgrade
- 5 Residents and business owners celebrate April 12 reopenings
- 6 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 7 Saffron Walden Musical Theatre Company announces musicals
- 8 Walden market traders react to lockdown lifting
- 9 Several trees cut down without permission from Saffron Walden garden
- 10 Homes plan could join Saffron Walden and Sewards End
It is priced at �20. For every copy sold, �1 will be given to the outstanding Pre Raphaelite church in Jesus Lane Cambridge.