The Fonz makes it Happy Days for Saffron Walden youngsters
AMERICAN actor Henry Winkler – best known for his character The Fonz in seventies sitcom Happy Days – showed Saffron Walden youngsters that he is not too cool for school.
Mr Winkler visited RA Butler School in South Road on Wednesday to introduce children to his new book.
As a schoolboy, Mr Winkler struggled with dyslexia and he is touring the country to help raise awareness of the fact that one in five children experience learning challenges throughout their formative years.
Mr Winkler said: “School was unbelievably hard for me. Teachers didn’t know what dyslexia was at that time. So I was labelled a trouble maker. I was the class clown. I got a bad grade in everything but lunch. I was great at lunch!
“I was told I was stupid, lazy and not living up to my potential most of my life. And, when you’re younger and you’re told that, you believe it. It’s part of your self image.
You may also want to watch:
“Just because we learn differently, that does not mean that we are not incredibly smart human beings. That’s something I need every child to understand.”
Mr Winkler introduced the children to his Hank Zipzer stories which focus on a 10-year-old boy with dyslexia and is based on his own experience. Also speaking to the children was Nicky Cox, the editor of weekly children’s newspaper First News.
- 1 Affinity Water: No compensation for customers in water softening row
- 2 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 3 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 4 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 5 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 6 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 7 Coronavirus one year on: Stansted suffers 95% drop in passengers
- 8 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
- 9 Actor Ray Winstone's video appeal helps double air ambulance's 'brick' sales
- 10 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert