The only place is Essex: Host County invites London 2012 Olympics ticket holders to stay
AS the massive demand for Olympic tickets continues, those fortunate enough to have secured a ticket are being encouraged to start planning their stay during the London Olympic and Paralympic Games.
As the closest county to Stratford and the Olympic Park, Visit Essex tourism is urging the many thousands of ticket holders to choose Essex as the place to stay during the 2012 Games.
On the outskirts of London, Essex is an easy county to reach and to travel in and around. With a number of international gateways into the county including Stansted and Southend airports, two ports at Harwich and Tilbury, an extensive bus network and direct rail links into Stratford from as little as 15 minutes, it is a perfect place to for visitors to use as a base.
Essex offers tourists a welcome alternative to the hustle and bustle of London which includes 350 miles of stunning coastline, beautiful countryside and quintessential English villages.
The county also offers fantastic shopping, vibrant nightlife and restaurants to enjoy.
There is plenty of opportunity for relaxing and recreational activity outside of watching the 2012 Games, including 67 golf courses and plenty of cycling, and walking routes to explore.
Cabinet member for eEnvironment and culture, county councillor Jeremy Lucas said: “Essex has a number of key transport gateways making it accessible for visitors travelling by rail, air, sea and road. The accommodation is of an excellent standard throughout the county that will suit a range of budgets.
- 1 Suffocating plants to be stripped out: Jubilee Pond makeover
- 2 Red, white and blue: Royal theme for Saffron Walden windows
- 3 Platinum Jubilee: Uttlesford street party and activities
- 4 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 5 Saffron Striders impress, Thompson strikes gold
- 6 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 7 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
- 8 Debbie Bland Foundation launched in memory of kind mum
- 9 Hidden secrets, free medals, live jazz for Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Saffron Walden U13 Girls celebrate 3-0 victory
“The coastal resorts in the south east of the county are ideal for those who have tickets for the Olympic Mountain Bike Events at Hadleigh Farm, and the picturesque countryside in the west of the county for Canoe Slalom Events at the Lee Valley Park nearby.
“With easy, direct rail links into Stratford taking as little as 15 minutes, it makes perfect sense for visitors to base themselves in Essex during the Olympic Games in 2012.”
Visit Essex has plenty of information and ideas to help plan your stay during the 2012 Games – for more information go to visitessex.com