The sky’s the limit for Geri
A VOLUNTEER at an Uttlesford sight charity will be taking to the skies – only to jump from a plane at 13,000ft.
Geraldine Cowell will be plummeting towards the ground at speeds of up to 120mph before pulling the cord to release a parachute as she does a daring skydive to raise funds for Support 4 Sight.
Geraldine said: “Although this is a frightening and challenging experience for me, I’ll try and do anything once.”
Support 4 Sight works with visually impaired people and their families.”
The charity helps almost 3,000 people a year in the west Essex by giving information, support and advice to people with sight loss and other associated problems, helping them to maintain an independent lifestyle. It has a well-equipped Resource Centre, offers home visiting services, membership and equipment loans, social trips, coffee mornings, computer training and runs information desks at local hospitals.
The charity relies heavily on its fantastic team of volunteers.
Geraldine said: “I want to raise money for Support 4 Sight, because they do so much to help blind and partially sighted people in Essex and it is really hard for small charities to raise the funds to keep going year after year, so this is a perfect opportunity to raise some extra funds for them.”
- 1 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 2 Obituary: On-call firefighter dedicated life to community
- 3 4 inspirational women are celebrated in Newport
- 4 Saffron Walden seal first win of EAPL season at Frinton
- 5 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 6 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 7 Voting together: Lib Dems and Greens join forces
- 8 SWCC girls U13 come close to victory
- 9 From meat in supermarkets to beer in pubs - what is getting more expensive?
- 10 The Railway Arms is North West Essex CAMRA Pub of the Year
Geraldine is hoping to raise �1,000 in the challenge, which takes place next Wednesday. Sponsorship forms are available at Support 4 Sight’s centre at 2&4 George Street, Saffron Walden, by ringing 01799 523700 or visiting support4sight.org.uk