Thief targets 93-year-old woman in ‘despicable crime’
- Credit: Archant
A 93-year-old woman had her purse stolen by a woman wearing a distinctive mauve beret.
The victim had earlier withdrawn money from the bank and was returning home when the woman approached her in Carlyle Road, Cambridge, at about 3.15pm on Wednesday (January 16).
She engaged the victim in a short conversation before taking the purse from a bag she had placed on the ground.
The thief was described as being of Mediterranean appearance with a foreign accent, 5’6”, of average build, black hair and in her 30s. As well as the beret, she was wearing a coat and shoes that were white at the back.
Detective Sergeant Rich Sinclair, from Cambridge CID, said: “This was a despicable crime against a vulnerable woman and we believe she may have been followed from the Chesterton Road area.
You may also want to watch:
“I would ask anyone who has seen a woman matching this description or has any information that could help our inquiry to get in touch.”
Anyone with information should contact Det Sgt Sinclair or PC Andy Watters on 101, or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.
- 1 Tools collection is a huge success
- 2 Revealed: images of new hospital that aims to be carbon neutral
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 A Big Deal for Fairycroft House as comedy club makes comeback
- 5 Fête de la Musique returns to Walden - with nine music venues
- 6 Ibiza legend Dave Pearce and Clockwork Orange Andy Manston at garden party
- 7 Saffron Walden constituency could change shape in boundary review
- 8 Motorcyclist in hospital after Broxted collision
- 9 New development plan for former Friends' School
- 10 Share your views: Should Freedom Day on June 21 go ahead?