Thousands commemorate VE Day in Duxford air show
- Credit: Archant
A street party, historic aircraft, and sing-a-longs helped thousands of visitors to IWM Duxford commemorate the 70th anniversary of Victory in Europe.
Two days of commemoration took place during the VE Day Anniversary Air Show at the weekend (Saturday and Sunday, May 23 and 24).
Colour film footage of VE Day was played to accompany live entertainment on the Second World War stage, as vocalists Peter Wayre and Nina Rae performed classic wartime songs.
And visitors – many in 1940s dress – were able to wander the bunting-draped site and enjoy displays of wartime weddings, the Home Guard, the Women’s Auxiliary Air Force, and wartime rationing.
Children were also able to try on mini-RAF uniforms.
You may also want to watch:
A flying display provided the grand finale accompanied by music, wartime speeches and recordings of veterans’ memories.
The Eurofighter Typhoon FGR4 from 29 (R) Squadron, RAF Coningsby began the display.
- 1 An afternoon at the Proms for Mountfitchet House residents
- 2 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 3 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 4 Church praises members for 'fantastic' Harvest Time generosity
- 5 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 6 David Walliams’ Gangsta Granny coming to Cambridge stage
- 7 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 8 Jets and Falcons fly out of Stansted after their NFL London showdown
- 9 Tributes pour in after death of Essex MP Sir David Amess
- 10 Council to debate 'underperforming' planning service
Representing the inter-war years was the Hawker Fury Mark I, which flew for the first time following a lengthy restoration.
The Bristol Blenheim Mark I commemorated of the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain accompanied by two Mark I Spitfires.
The flying display culminated with a VE Day salute led by B-17 Flying Fortress Sally B, which also celebrates its 70th anniversary this year, accompanied by three P-51 Mustangs and a Curtiss P-40 Warhawk.