Thousands enjoy Saffron Walden Crank Up
- Credit: Archant
More than 3,000 people enjoyed a feast of steam engines and vintage vehicles at the Saffron Walden Crank Up in Newport on the hottest weekend of the year so far.
Following the success of the revived event last year, steam enthusiasts once again flocked to Sparrows Hill on Saturday, May 7, and Sunday, May 8, for the engine and vehicle showcase.
Visitors were treated to demonstrations, craft tents and trade stands and a traditional children’s funfair as well as live music, which was provided by Krusty Whiskas.
Michael Pumfrey, from the organising team, said: “We were very pleased with how it went, and couldn’t have asked for better weather.
“The feedback we’ve had from the public has been very positive and I think everyone had a great time. Hopefully the event will go ahead again next year but it will probably be the weekend after - May 13 and 14, 2017.
You may also want to watch:
“The organisers were very pleased and would like to thank the East Anglian Traction Engine Society for all their support as well as the people who came along.”
- 1 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 2 Covid booster vaccinations scheme is rolling out at pace
- 3 Revealed: why some Uttlesford car park machines no longer take cash
- 4 Walden war historian on the inspiration behind his latest book
- 5 Researchers collaborate with students in protein art project
- 6 Emergency funding for Essex care homes amid 'acute' staff shortages
- 7 First birthday celebrations for Railway Arms in community ownership
- 8 English Touring Opera coming to Saffron Hall with rarely performed Handel opera
- 9 Runners raise more than £1,500 for Accuro in west Essex
- 10 Team Max to hold fundraising auction for planned children's hospital