Three Crazy Mares to hold lunchtime fundraiser
- Credit: Archant
THREE pals are holding a lunchtime fundraiser ahead of their “crazy” challenge to trek from coast to coast using a mixture of horse and leg power.
The town’s Olympic torchbearer Clare Thompson, Joy Goddard and Vicky Rutherford, who have branded themselves the 3 Crazy Mares, are calling on the community to help them complete their charity quest from St Bees in Cumbria to Robin Hood’s Bay, North Yorkshire.
Clare has the unenviable task of running 35 miles a day for the challenge, while Vicky will complete it on horseback and Joy a combination of the two. The challenge itself will take in 190 miles over five days.
The trio are raising money for Saffron Walden & District Riding Club for the Disabled and the Multiple Sclerosis Resource Centre.
A lunchtime fundraiser will be held in the Eight Bells on Friday February 15 at 1pm. Tickets are £20 per head for a sausage and mash lunch followed by sticky toffee pudding, while there are treats to be had from the mares’ gift tree.
You may also want to watch:
The two charities are close to the three pals’ hearts, with the launch of their planned challenge having taken place at the riding club in Debden last November.
Clare said: “The look on children’s faces when they get on a pony for the first time is so special and it makes such a difference in their lives. I brought along my Olympic torch to show them all and it was so sweet to see the excitement in their eyes when they were told they were going to be in the paper holding the torch.”
- 1 An afternoon at the Proms for Mountfitchet House residents
- 2 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 3 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 4 Church praises members for 'fantastic' Harvest Time generosity
- 5 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 6 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 7 David Walliams’ Gangsta Granny coming to Cambridge stage
- 8 Jets and Falcons fly out of Stansted after their NFL London showdown
- 9 Tributes pour in after death of Essex MP Sir David Amess
- 10 Council to debate 'underperforming' planning service
To book a place, call Joy on 07929 588843, Clare on 07905 373803 or Vicky on 07773 265697.