Three Crazy Mares to hold lunchtime fundraiser
- Credit: Archant
THREE pals are holding a lunchtime fundraiser ahead of their “crazy” challenge to trek from coast to coast using a mixture of horse and leg power.
The town’s Olympic torchbearer Clare Thompson, Joy Goddard and Vicky Rutherford, who have branded themselves the 3 Crazy Mares, are calling on the community to help them complete their charity quest from St Bees in Cumbria to Robin Hood’s Bay, North Yorkshire.
Clare has the unenviable task of running 35 miles a day for the challenge, while Vicky will complete it on horseback and Joy a combination of the two. The challenge itself will take in 190 miles over five days.
The trio are raising money for Saffron Walden & District Riding Club for the Disabled and the Multiple Sclerosis Resource Centre.
A lunchtime fundraiser will be held in the Eight Bells on Friday February 15 at 1pm. Tickets are £20 per head for a sausage and mash lunch followed by sticky toffee pudding, while there are treats to be had from the mares’ gift tree.
You may also want to watch:
The two charities are close to the three pals’ hearts, with the launch of their planned challenge having taken place at the riding club in Debden last November.
Clare said: “The look on children’s faces when they get on a pony for the first time is so special and it makes such a difference in their lives. I brought along my Olympic torch to show them all and it was so sweet to see the excitement in their eyes when they were told they were going to be in the paper holding the torch.”
- 1 Sam Smith to headline charity festival fundraising to fight food poverty
- 2 Families take part in Gain the Miles challenge
- 3 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 4 Care home residents and staff receive Covid-19 vaccine
- 5 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 6 Historic structures on Uttlesford heritage list
- 7 Laptops, iPads and Chromebooks being sent to let children learn remotely
- 8 Covid vaccinations given at the Lord Butler
- 9 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 10 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
To book a place, call Joy on 07929 588843, Clare on 07905 373803 or Vicky on 07773 265697.