Three nominations for Saffron Walden in Essex Tourism Awards
WITH three nominations in the first-ever county tourism awards, Saffron Walden has been recognised as one of the top visitor destinations in Essex. The tourist information centre (TIC) on the Market Square as well as Audley End House and Gardens and the
WITH three nominations in the first-ever county tourism awards, Saffron Walden has been recognised as one of the top visitor destinations in Essex.
The tourist information centre (TIC) on the Market Square as well as Audley End House and Gardens and the Saffron Walden Arts Festival have all been shortlisted in the Essex Tourism Awards 2009.
Duty manager at the TIC, Mark Starte, said "The whole TIC team, along with the Town Council, is delighted that we have been shortlisted. We are up against two large, well-run TICs in Colchester and Southend, but we are hopeful that the high standard of service we offer here to both local residents and tourists, combined with our newly refurbished premises will prove to be significant factors in our favour.
"We would all be immensely proud if our TIC were to be the eventual winner. We are also very pleased that the Saffron Walden Arts Trust has been recognised for its efforts in staging the very successful Arts Festival and that Audley End House has been shortlisted too."
You may also want to watch:
The awards are organised by Archant - publishers of the Saffron Walden Reporter - in conjunction with Essex County Council.
The shortlist has been drawn up across 12 categories and recognises professionalism and expertise in the tourism industry as well as showcasing the best of Essex attractions.
- 1 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 2 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 3 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 4 Back to the drawing board for Radwinter Road retirement homes
- 5 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
- 6 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 7 Revealed: Essex hospital treatment waiting time data
- 8 Walden market traders react to lockdown lifting
- 9 Firefighters rescue woman after town centre collision
- 10 More than 600 want reopening of North Hall Road after nine months
Country house Audley End has been nominated in the best large attraction category and faces stiff competition from Colchester Zoo and Adventure Island in Southend-on-Sea.
And the Saffron Walden Arts Festival will have to beat off competition from the Essex County Show in Barleylands and Colchester's Guardians to the King to win the event or festival of the year category.
Other nominations in Uttlesford include the Radisson SAS at Stansted Airport which is in the best large hotel category and Great Hallingbury Manor features in two categories: best small hotel and sustainable tourism.
All nominees will now go through to judging for the finals, with the winners to be announced at the awards dinner on Thursday September 10 at the Cliffs Pavilion, Southend.