Three Peaks are no problem for Saffron Walden schoolboy
AN eight-year-old Saffron Walden schoolboy has successfully completed the Three Peaks Challenge – walking the three highest mountains in England, Scotland and Wales within 24 hours and raising more than �1,400 for charity.
Billy Manners, a year three pupil at Dame Bradbury’s School, completed the challenge in 20 hours and 55 minutes.
His mum Emma said: “Billy did extremely well and enjoyed almost every minute of the challenge – there was a short patch in the dark, fog, wind and rain at three in the morning when he lost his usual cheery grin, but not for long.
“His commitment to his aim has been impressive. He has been training and preparing for the challenge for a year and has remained completely determined to succeed throughout.”
Billy was fundraising for the charity Pratham, which operates in India and provides quality education to underprivileged children in rural and urban areas.
You may also want to watch:
He was determined to raise money for education in the developing world, to give other children some of the chances he has received himself.
“It all started just over a year ago,” said Billy. “We went to Wales and climbed Snowdon and I said, ‘This is fun – what’s harder?’ At home I searched online for ‘mountains’ and ‘challenges’ and learned about the Three Peaks Challenge.” “Mummy and daddy said I could only try this if I prepared properly, so since then I have climbed Snowdon twice more, Scafell Pike, the Pic du Midi in the Pyrenees and Ben Nevis.
- 1 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 2 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 3 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 4 Back to the drawing board for Radwinter Road retirement homes
- 5 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
- 6 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 7 Revealed: Essex hospital treatment waiting time data
- 8 No end of the line in sight for Audley End CrossCountry cancellations
- 9 Firefighters rescue woman after town centre collision
- 10 Several trees cut down without permission from Saffron Walden garden
“I have also been walking 10 miles a week.”