Three Peaks are no problem for Saffron Walden schoolboy
AN eight-year-old Saffron Walden schoolboy has successfully completed the Three Peaks Challenge – walking the three highest mountains in England, Scotland and Wales within 24 hours and raising more than �1,400 for charity.
Billy Manners, a year three pupil at Dame Bradbury’s School, completed the challenge in 20 hours and 55 minutes.
His mum Emma said: “Billy did extremely well and enjoyed almost every minute of the challenge – there was a short patch in the dark, fog, wind and rain at three in the morning when he lost his usual cheery grin, but not for long.
“His commitment to his aim has been impressive. He has been training and preparing for the challenge for a year and has remained completely determined to succeed throughout.”
Billy was fundraising for the charity Pratham, which operates in India and provides quality education to underprivileged children in rural and urban areas.
He was determined to raise money for education in the developing world, to give other children some of the chances he has received himself.
“It all started just over a year ago,” said Billy. “We went to Wales and climbed Snowdon and I said, ‘This is fun – what’s harder?’ At home I searched online for ‘mountains’ and ‘challenges’ and learned about the Three Peaks Challenge.” “Mummy and daddy said I could only try this if I prepared properly, so since then I have climbed Snowdon twice more, Scafell Pike, the Pic du Midi in the Pyrenees and Ben Nevis.
- 1 New vehicles to catch Essex's criminals on the county's fast roads
- 2 Government accused of 'grotesque waste of taxpayers' money' after Stansted flight
- 3 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 4 Creamfields South Chelmsford 2022 line-up announced for Hylands Park
- 5 Uttlesford District Council row over £4m 'black hole'
- 6 Plan to ease congestion at M11 junction 8 gets underway
- 7 Miss Disco's Valentine's date with fans at Saffron Walden's football club
- 8 In pictures: Burns Night at Walden's The Railway Arms
- 9 How to hold a street party for the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Celebrating 20th anniversary of Harry Potter at Saffron Screen
“I have also been walking 10 miles a week.”