Tiger tots have fun in the snow
SNOWFALL last Thursday may have closed Linton Zoo, but for the tiger cubs it was a new and exciting experience. The zoo was forced to close as staff were unable to clear the three inches of snow that had fallen onto the safety signs and pathways. Zookeepe
SNOWFALL last Thursday may have closed Linton Zoo, but for the tiger cubs it was a new and exciting experience.
The zoo was forced to close as staff were unable to clear the three inches of snow that had fallen onto the safety signs and pathways.
Zookeeper Kim Simmons said: "Keepers have been kept busy ensuring the animals had their usual special diets and clean and dry accommodation.
"Whilst the fuel bill is going through the roof with this cold snap and the electric meter is spinning out of control we are glad to report that all animals are happy and well.
You may also want to watch:
"The only ones moaning are the zookeepers who always complain about cold feet and toes as they work hard to keep their animals happy!"
The Amur tiger family at the zoo seemed at home in the cold weather, which for the two cubs, Makari and Katinka, was a new experience.
- 1 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 2 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 3 Spurs partnership with Walden clubs is a first in UK
- 4 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 5 This week's paper: Saffron Walden Reporter on July 29, 2021
- 6 £7.5 million cash package sought for new A120 business park
- 7 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 8 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 9 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 10 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100
Mrs Simmons said: "It was their first encounter of snow and like any youngsters they thoroughly enjoyed playing in it, closely watched by their mum Deja, who couldn't help herself from joining in the fun.
"Lion cub Zuri also thought the snow was fun, especially when his football became covered in the stuff and turned into a giant snowball!