Today marks 1000 days to go until the start of the London 2012 Olympic Games
TODAY (Saturday October 31) marks 1000 days to go until the official start of the London 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games. With an array of milestones already achieved in the East of England, there are still many more opportunities for businesses
TODAY (Saturday October 31) marks 1000 days to go until the official start of the London 2012 Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.
With an array of milestones already achieved in the East of England, there are still many more opportunities for businesses and the community alike to get involved during the countdown.
Some of the milestones in the East of England to date include:
* 122 businesses have won Games related contracts in the region.
* 823 schools registered for the London 2012 Get Set programme, designed to inspire young people by sharing and promoting success stories through an online education resource.
* Two schools from the region are now two of the first to be part of the Get Set network and able to use the recently launched London 2012 Education Mark.
- 1 Essex parents fear return to remote lessons amid school staff shortage
- 2 Proposed law which sparked Saffron Walden protests suffers House of Lords defeat
- 3 Fire and ambulance crews rescue after serious M11 crash
- 4 Essex Young Farmers celebrate Plough Sunday with Thaxted tractor run
- 5 Consultation on traffic in Walden's Market Square ends on Monday
- 6 Walden author unveils third book, with a touching dedication
- 7 Penalty heartbreak for Saffron Walden as FA Vase dreams come to an end
- 8 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 9 Things to do in Essex February 2022
- 10 Cambridge panto audiences raise £14k for charitable causes
* 66 facilities accepted as Olympic Pre Games Training Camps (PGTC) and 12 accepted as Paralympic PGTCs.
* Over 80 events participated in the London 2012 Open Weekend in 2009, which makes the 2012 Games "everybody's" Games by extending the reach and the legacy of the Olympics and Paralympics beyond London and beyond sport.
* 18 Inspire Marks awarded in the East, which enables local projects to link their activities to the non commercial version of the London 2012 branding . These projects span arts and culture; sport; volunteering; education; sustainability and business.
The landmark 1000-day countdown coincides with the national Make a Difference Day, when people are asked to give up some of their free time to help their community and volunteer, and the Games are a perfect opportunity to do this.
Around 70,000 Games time volunteers will be needed to support the games and over 31,000 individuals from the East of England have already registered to demonstrate their interest in volunteering opportunities. There are a host of essential tasks that volunteers will carry out across specialist and generalist roles from language services to medical care and spectator services.
Chairman of Nations and Regions East, Stephen Castle, said: "The East of England has been one of the most proactive regions in its support for the 2012 Games and although we have achieved a lot so far, we still have a long journey ahead of us over the next 1000 days.
"The support of businesses and the wider community will enable us to maximise the opportunities and benefits that the Games provide for our region.
"Volunteers from across the region are critical to the success of the Games, they can help to make or break the Olympics, I am delighted to see that so many volunteers from across the East of England have already registered their interest.
"However, there are many opportunities to volunteering in local communities and sports clubs and we'd encourage our residents to consider supporting these with their time, which can be done straight away.
"These volunteers will help to strengthen the voluntary and community sector within the region creating a legacy that will go far beyond the Games."
For more information on how you can register your interest in being a volunteer and how to be involved in the London 2012 Olympic Games visit www.london2012.com/get-involved/volunteering