Toilet fire extinguished by fire crews

PUBLISHED: 16:38 18 August 2008 | UPDATED: 21:32 31 May 2010

FIRE crews from Thaxted and Dunmow were called into action on Saturday evening, when a small blaze broke out in a hotel toilet.

At around 6pm the crews headed to the Swan Hotel in Thaxted where they found an empty toilet block full of smoke. Thaxted fire

FIRE crews from Thaxted and Dunmow were called into action on Saturday evening, when a small blaze broke out in a hotel toilet.

At around 6pm the crews headed to the Swan Hotel in Thaxted where they found an empty toilet block full of smoke. Thaxted fire crew sub-officer, Steve Morris took charge of the scene. "It took us four minutes to get to the building, which is a good thing for this local landmark as the fire could have easily spread through the extraction system and into the main part of the hotel," he said.

"Thanks to the hard work and professionalism of the first crew on the scene and the first firefighters that went in wearing breathing apparatus, we were able to quickly extinguish the fire and prevent serious damage."

Wearing breathing apparatus firefighters entered the toilet block and quickly extinguished the fire to prevent any serious damage.

Mr Morris said: "The fire was in a cubicle in the gents' toilet at the back of the hotel and the whole block was heavily covered in smoke when we arrived."

The fire was fully extinguished by 6.30pm.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter