Top cop for Essex Police to earn £192k a year
- Credit: Archant
THE new chief constable of Essex Police will receive a yearly salary of more than £190,000, it has been announced.
Police and Crime Commissioner Nick Alston said Chf Con Stephen Kavanagh’s total remuneration package, including allowances, would be £192,153 per year. He is due to take over his new role next Tuesday (May 7).
Mr Alston said: “Stephen Kavanagh is an exceptional police officer who currently holds an important position as Deputy Assistant Commissioner in the Metropolitan Police Service.
“During the selection process, Stephen’s passion to lead Essex Police for a full four years and to serve the people of Essex was crystal clear.
“We had an outstanding field of candidates, of whom Stephen was the very best. Therefore, I have decided to use the discretion given to me under the legislation to ensure that Stephen is remunerated at the top end of the agreed national range.
“Essex Police is one of the largest employers in Essex, and I find it hard to imagine a more important job than keeping us all safe. I am confident that Stephen will work tirelessly on behalf of the people of Essex.”
The remuneration for Chief Constables is subject to the provisions of the Police Act 1996, the Police Regulations 2003 and subsequent amendments, and determinations by the Secretary of State.
- 1 Delayed 350 homes development approved
- 2 Flashmob choir, free lessons: Latest Ukraine support
- 3 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 4 Scammer conned North Essex man out of £6,000
- 5 Could you be named the Essex Young Musician of the Year?
- 6 Hidden secrets, free medals, live jazz for Platinum Jubilee
- 7 Platinum Jubilee: Uttlesford street party and activities
- 8 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 9 Extra trains to Tottenham Hotspur Stadium for Betfred Challenge Cup final
- 10 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
Police and Crime Commissioners have the power to set the Chief Constable’s basic pay within a plus or minus ten percent range, but only at the time the appointment is made.