Top sergeants given honours

PUBLISHED: 13:23 11 January 2007 | UPDATED: 10:06 31 May 2010

Sgt Kim Slaughter and Sgt Wayne Hunt - Pic: Sarah Lucy Brown

Sgt Kim Slaughter and Sgt Wayne Hunt - Pic: Sarah Lucy Brown

THREE soldiers based at the Carver Barracks in Wimbish are to be given honours by the Queen in recognition of their exceptional efforts. Sgt Kim Slaughter will receive the Queen s Gallantry Medal for exemplary acts of bravery , while Sgt Wayne Hunt and S

THREE soldiers based at the Carver Barracks in Wimbish are to be given honours by the Queen in recognition of their exceptional efforts.

Sgt Kim Slaughter will receive the Queen's Gallantry Medal for 'exemplary acts of bravery', while Sgt Wayne Hunt and Sgt Dale Roberts are in line to be given MBEs the first week in February.

Sgt Slaughter will receive his medal for his work defusing two bombs in Kesgrave, near Ipswich, in March 2006.

As a bomb disposal officer, Sgt Slaughter oversaw the operation with a team of eight soldiers.

He said: "We were called to a 1,000lb Second World War device that had been unearthed at an archaeological site close to a school near Ipswich.

"When we got there we discovered another similar device in the area, and we spent about 48 hours rendering them both safe.

"It was a complete surprise to learn I was receiving this honour for my work - it's fantastic news and is one of the best things to have happened to me in my time as a soldier."

The 39-year-old man has been stationed at Wimbish for nine years of his 16-year military career.

Sgt Roberts, 34, learned he was going to receive the honour on New Year's Eve. He said: "I was shocked, of course, but very happy.

"It's nice for the regiment and our families our work has been given official recognition like this."

Sgt Roberts whose wife and two children, live inside the barracks, has seen 12 years' service and been based with the 33 Royal Engineers regiment since September 2002.

He said: "I'm receiving the MBE for my work in high-risk search operations, particularly in the follow-up to the bombings in London on July 7 2005."

Sgt Hunt was also delighted to have the work he has done with soldiers' families behind the scenes recognised. The 36-year-old said: "I was very surprised to learn I'd received the award.

"This is definitely the highlight of my 18-year career; it's fantastic to get a pat on the back and very rewarding to receive this recognition.

Most Read

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter