Top skater Stuart nominated to be torch bearer for Olympic Games London 2012
SAFFRON Walden Skate group has nominated a torch bearer to carry the Olympic flame – on a skateboard!
Stuart Dyer has been chosen to carry out the task by his colleagues who practice at the One Minet skatepark behind the Lord Butler Fitness and Leisure Centre in Peaslands Road.
His name has gone forward as one of 8,000 torch-bearers.
Group secretary Jane Clarke said: “Stuart is an outstanding skater and we are keeping our fingers crossed that he will be chosen.
“As skateboarding has yet to feature in the Olympic sports, we want Stuart to skate carrying the torch as a token of how important this sport is for so many young and not so young people in this country.”
You may also want to watch:
She added: “We want to celebrate how our group pushed ourselves to the limits and achieved something incredible for the local community as well as for those from further afield.”
Stuart has been chosen to represent all the skaters, BMXers, bladers and scooter-riders, who use the town’s challenging skatepark.
- 1 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 2 Care home residents and staff receive Covid-19 vaccine
- 3 Town council backs new support club
- 4 Families take part in Gain the Miles challenge
- 5 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 6 Sam Smith to headline charity festival fundraising to fight food poverty
- 7 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 8 Laptops, iPads and Chromebooks being sent to let children learn remotely
- 9 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 10 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire