Top skater Stuart nominated to be torch bearer for Olympic Games London 2012
SAFFRON Walden Skate group has nominated a torch bearer to carry the Olympic flame – on a skateboard!
Stuart Dyer has been chosen to carry out the task by his colleagues who practice at the One Minet skatepark behind the Lord Butler Fitness and Leisure Centre in Peaslands Road.
His name has gone forward as one of 8,000 torch-bearers.
Group secretary Jane Clarke said: “Stuart is an outstanding skater and we are keeping our fingers crossed that he will be chosen.
“As skateboarding has yet to feature in the Olympic sports, we want Stuart to skate carrying the torch as a token of how important this sport is for so many young and not so young people in this country.”
She added: “We want to celebrate how our group pushed ourselves to the limits and achieved something incredible for the local community as well as for those from further afield.”
Stuart has been chosen to represent all the skaters, BMXers, bladers and scooter-riders, who use the town’s challenging skatepark.
- 1 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 2 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 3 Will there be a White Christmas in Essex this year?
- 4 Stansted Airport calls for residents' views on solar transformation plan
- 5 Walden has late night shopping and musicians
- 6 Students bring cheer to senior citizens through Christmas Buddy Scheme
- 7 Person has died on railway tracks near Newport, say police
- 8 IWM Duxford exhibition to display largest collection of Spitfires under one roof
- 9 Advent begins in Saffron Walden on Sunday
- 10 Uttlesford climate change plan goes back to the drawing board