Trade waste pilot project continues in Saffron Walden
Businesses are being urged to participate in a pilot scheme which has allowed trade waste disposal at Saffron Walden recycling centre.
The trial at the Thaxted Road site ends on Friday, April 11.
Professionals are currently prohibited from using recycling centres to dispose of trade waste, as they are only meant to be used for household waste. The pilot scheme has allowed for the disposal of trade waste under a ‘pay as you throw’ system.
Essex county councillor Roger Walters, cabinet member for waste and recycling, said: “The purpose of this pilot scheme is to determine whether there is demand for trade waste facilities at our recycling centres. This would be of value to local businesses while removing the costs to the County Council for disposing of commercial waste.
“We would urge local traders to take advantage of this trial, and we would appreciate their feedback on the scheme.”
You may also want to watch:
Traders who wish to use the service will be charged a fee depending on the size of their vehicle and the type of waste they wish to dispose of, which can be paid over the phone when they visit the centre. They will be issued with a waste transfer note (Duty of Care) and staff will be on hand to provide support, advice and guidance on how traders can better manage their waste and comply with relevant waste legislation.
The service is available during opening hours Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, and trade waste will not be accepted outside of these hours or on Saturdays and Sundays.
- 1 First business to sponsor Walden's Dance in the Square 2021
- 2 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 3 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 4 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 5 Lana's efforts help to feed the community
- 6 Lockdown easing: Saffron Walden Museum to reopen on May 20
- 7 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 8 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal
Full details of the charges will be available at essex.gov.uk/recyclingcentres.
The results of the trial will determine whether ECC seeks to develop a trade waste disposal service countywide.