West Essex villages fear becoming 'trapped' by road closures
- Credit: Google Earth
West Essex villagers fear they will become "trapped" for two weeks due to road closures.
Three sets of roadworks north of Elsenham have been scheduled at the same time between September 27 and October 8.
North Hall Road between Elsenham and Newport has been closed since July 2020.
There are short-term closures on Chickney Road between September 6 and October 8, and on Ugley Road from September 27 until October 18.
An Essex Highways spokesperson has admitted that the timing is "unfortunate".
You may also want to watch:
Residents say they feel let down.
Simon Lee, who lives in Henham, described the road closures programme as "absolute madness".
- 1 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 2 National award and recognition for work of a laughter specialist
- 3 Purse stolen from shopper's bag in Aldi supermarket, Walden
- 4 Delight as triathlon returns to Saffron Walden for 20th edition
- 5 Eco Market celebrates Essex's eco businesses on Great Big Green Week
- 6 Mencap 'thank you' for Dig It community allotment
- 7 Reporter wins award for Uttlesford news articles
- 8 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 9 Strong start for Saffron Walden as competitive rugby returns with a bang.
- 10 New cup and pavilion are dedicated to memory of Colin Bazley
Simon said: "This shows incompetence from Essex Highways and contempt for residents' mobility and their ability to enjoy expedient access to school and work."
He added: "Get this for joined-up thinking!
"Henham and Elsenham are cut off with three simultaneous road closures rendering any route north impossible.
"We are effectively cut off."
Uttlesford district councillor for Elsenham and Henham, Councillor Garry LeCount, believes the overlap could have been avoided.
Cllr LeCount said: "There seems to be no conversation with one another at Essex Highways.
"There's no continuity between departments to ensure we have the right through-route of traffic out of the villages."
A spokesperson for Essex Highways said the works are essential.
They said: "There is an unfortunate incidence of two or three road closures in a rural area with limited through routes.
"However, each area remains accessible from one direction, albeit with diversions involved from other directions.
"The bridge closure is unfortunately a longer term issue, with perhaps major works to be carried out.
"By carefully following diversion route maps and signs on site and with local knowledge, residents will be able to access the area."
North Hall Road closed in the summer of last year after damage to a retaining wall next to the River Cam.
A diversion is in place via Quendon.
The roadworks on Chickney Road will be closed for sewage works, with a diversion via Thaxted.
Ugley Road will be closed for gas works, with a diversion via Stansted.