'Only travel if essential' - Greater Anglia axes trains due to Storm Eunice
- Credit: Sarah Lucy Brown
Train users should "only travel if it is essential" as Greater Anglia is set to reduce its timetable when Storm Eunice hits on Friday.
The reduced timetable will be put in place tomorrow as the UK prepares for the gale force winds.
Weather warnings have been issued across the country with winds of around 90mph in coastal areas while inland areas could still see gusts up to 80mph.
In a tweet, Greater Anglia wrote: "A reduced timetable is being put in place due to Storm Eunice and speed restrictions imposed by Network Rail to protect railway infrastructure."
Customers who have booked tickets for travel on Friday, February 18, will be able to travel today [February 17] and Saturday, February 19.
Ellie Burrows, Network Rail’s route director for Anglia, said: “We will be doing everything we can to keep as many services as possible running safely and reliably on Friday, but with such strong winds expected we know that disruption to passengers’ journeys is inevitable.
"Please consider whether your journey is necessary on Friday, and if possible re-plan your journey for another day.”
- 1 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 2 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 3 Man in court over alleged 'fox-killing' during Puckeridge Hunt
- 4 Solar farm application decision is deferred
- 5 School activities and sports in pictures
- 6 Dane's 10 day walk home with only a backpack
- 7 Post Office: change of location in Newport
- 8 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
- 9 Uttlesford new development could be triple the size of one refused
- 10 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
Customers who have already purchased tickets will be able to be use them for travel on Thursday or Saturday instead, and this ticket acceptance is in place with all train operators, according to Greater Anglia.
The changes are as follows:
Half hourly service
- Southend Victoria to London Liverpool Street
- Stansted Airport to London
- Norwich to London Liverpool Street Intercity service
- Cambridge, Bishop’s Stortford to London Liverpool Street
- Ipswich, Colchester, Chelmsford to London Liverpool Street
- Meridian Water to Stratford
- Southminster – Wickford
- Harwich – Manningtree
- Walton-on-the-Naze - Thorpe-le-Soken
- Clacton-on-Sea – Colchester
- Hertford East – Broxbourne
- Marks Tey to Sudbury
- Norwich to Cambridge,
- Norwich to Great Yarmouth
- Norwich to Lowestoft
Two hourly (once every two hours)
- Norwich to Sheringham
- Ipswich to Cambridge
- Ipswich to Lowestoft
- Ipswich to Felixstowe
- Ipswich to Peterborough
For more information visit the Greater Anglia website.