Travel writer stars at festival
AUTHOR and explorer Hugh Thomson launches the Words Around the World literature festival in Saffron Walden today (Friday February 27). Mr Thomson s new novel, Tequila Oil: Getting Lost in Mexico, was recently featured on Radio 4 s Book of the Week. Festiv
AUTHOR and explorer Hugh Thomson launches the Words Around the World literature festival in Saffron Walden today (Friday February 27).
Mr Thomson's new novel, Tequila Oil: Getting Lost in Mexico, was recently featured on Radio 4's Book of the Week.
Festival organiser, Jo Burch, said: "We're delighted that Hugh's new book is receiving such wide coverage - we hope that people who have heard the extracts will have been intrigued and will want to come to listen to Hugh in person. We are extremely lucky to have been able to invite him to Saffron Walden."
Tequila Oil is not only very funny but also reveals a much more dangerous side of Mexico than that seen by holiday-makers. It also explores one of the most enigmatic and least understood ancient cultures on the planet, the Maya.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Thomson's appearance is part of the Harts Events Words Around the World literature festival, which runs from February 26 to March 27.
The festival includes appearances by some highly acclaimed names, such as Rasta poet Benjamin Zephaniah and local novelist Jojo Moyes.
- 1 Saffron Walden constituency MP on the road map out of lockdown
- 2 Tracking Covid at the Sanger Institute
- 3 Buses replace trains while train tracks are replaced
- 4 Quakers ask district council to reverse decision as investment row continues
- 5 Awards for pandemic heroes launched
- 6 Contractors arrive for £1.25m sports facility works
- 7 Summer holiday catch-up classes among ideas being raised
- 8 Electric cars for SMT GB staff
- 9 Gordon's 'fiver for a jab' fundraiser for NHS
- 10 COVID-19: Literary festival event to mark anniversary of first lockdown
Tickets to see Mr Thomson's event are �5. To book tickets or to find out full details of all the festival events visit www.hartsevents.co.uk, visit Harts Events at Harts' showroom on Shire Hill or call 01799 523456. Alternatively, visit the Tourist Information Centre in its temporary location behind the town hall.