Two people taken to hospital after Great Sampford cooker explosion

PUBLISHED: 10:00 09 May 2017 | UPDATED: 10:00 09 May 2017

This cooker exploded at a home in Great Sampford. Picture: SAFFRON WALDEN FIRE

This cooker exploded at a home in Great Sampford. Picture: SAFFRON WALDEN FIRE

Archant

Two people were taken to hospital after a cooker exploded at a house in Great Sampford on Saturday.

The damage caused by the explosion in Great Sampford. Picture: SAFFRON WALDEN FIREThe damage caused by the explosion in Great Sampford. Picture: SAFFRON WALDEN FIRE

Firefighters from Saffron Walden and Wethersfield attended the home in Tindon End at around 5.30pm to tackle the blaze.

The cause of the explosion was found to be a fault in the cooker’s valve.

The East of England Ambulance Service sent an ambulance crew and a hazardous area response team and treated two patients.

A woman and young girl both suffered leg injuries, and they were taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge for further treatment.

Their injuries are not thought to be life threatening.

A statement on Saffron Walden Fire’s Facebook page said: “999 call to a cooker explosion in Great Sampford. We attended the incident with a fire engine from Wethersfield.

“Firefighters gave first aid and assisted the ambulance crew while other firefighters made the cooker and house safe.

“The cause of the explosion was found to be a fault in the cooker’s valve.”

If you value what this gives you, please consider supporting our work. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter