Two Saffron Walden cats die from antifreeze poisoning

PUBLISHED: 10:17 01 March 2017 | UPDATED: 17:55 01 March 2017

Lolly and Boo at home

Lolly and Boo at home


Two cats tragically died from poisoning in Saffron Walden earlier last month after ingesting anti-freeze.

The RSPCA are investigating after Lolly, a tortoiseshell female, and Boo, a ginger and white female, both died within 24 hours of each other at their home in Winstanley Road, Saffron Walden.

The three-year-old sisters were whisked to the vet when their owner, Steve Heynes, noticed them both suddenly become uncoordinated and seem unwell.

Steve said: “Lolly was the first to show signs of acting a bit strange, and being unwell, but we didn’t know what was wrong at first. Then when Boo deteriorated very quickly the next day, we knew it must have been something they ingested - and we rushed them straight to the vets. We have all been so heartbroken to lose both cats at the same time - and worried for our other two cats, who don’t tend to venture as far and have not shown any suspicious signs so far.”

On arrival at the vet’s blood tests confirmed that the two animals has ingested antifreeze, sadly causing so much damage that both cats were put to sleep on February 11 to prevent further suffering.

Steve added: “It is difficult to know for sure where the antifreeze came from but it was a very cold spell, so I like to think it was a tragic accident rather than anything intentional.”

At this stage RSPCA investigators do not know if the poisonings were accidental or intentional but are advising people in the area to check where they are keeping their pesticides and domestic chemicals, including antifreeze, to make sure they are kept secure and out of the reach of animals.

RSPCA inspector Lucy Brennan said: “My heart went out to this family - it was just so upsetting for them to lose both of them at the same time.”

She added that signs of poisoning can be seen anything from half an hour after a cat has ingested a substance and can include one or several of these symptoms: vomiting, seeming depressed or sleepy, lack of coordination, seizures or difficulty breathing. If any of these symptoms are recognised the animal should be taken for immediate veterinary care.

Anyone with any information about this incident should contact the RSPCA appeal line on 0300 123 8018.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter