Two Uttlesford home owners fined more than £1,000 each for breaking council planning rules
PUBLISHED: 15:28 26 February 2016 | UPDATED: 15:28 26 February 2016
Two Uttlesford home owners have been fined in court after pleading guilty to separate offences relating to planning control.
Raymond Barry Tyler, of Saffron Walden, and Robert Bunten, of Newport, were each fined more than £1,000 at Chelmsford Magistrates Court on Thursday (February 18) for breaking council planning rules.
Mr Tyler pleaded guilty to providing false information in response to a planning contravention notice for his property in Market Hill, Saffron Walden.
He had stated that the first floor of the property was unoccupied but it was being used for residential purposes without planning permission.
Mr Tyler was fined £550 and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £55 and costs of £442.55.
In a separate case, Mr Bunten was found guilty of carrying out unauthorised works to a grade II listed building at Buntens Barns, Newport.
Sections of historic wooden tie beams had been removed from the barn when enforcement officers, acting on a complaint, visited the property in July 2015.
A planning application for listed building consent was submitted in May 2015 but had been refused by the planning committee on July 20.
The council’s conservation officer stated that the cutting, removal and destruction of the historic tie beams was an irreplaceable loss of the early fabric of the building, and was detrimental to its special architectural and historic interest.
It was also thought that it may affect the stability of the barn.
Mr Bunten said he had taken advice from a structural engineer who told him the building was structurally unsound and the beams needed removing.
He pleaded guilty and was fined £400, ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £40 and costs of £663.35.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.