Tyres and rubbish in bonfire cause thick smoke to spread through Linton
PUBLISHED: 11:52 15 June 2015 | UPDATED: 11:52 15 June 2015
Firefighters are urging people not to have bonfires after a fire caused thick smoke to blow through Linton yesterday (Sunday).
Crews from Linton and Cambridge extinguished a bonfire, involving tyres and rubbish, in The Grip at 4.46pm.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue said: “Bonfires can be unpleasant for nearby residents and communities if the materials that are burned create a lot of thick smoke that smells.
“We would advise anyone to avoid having a bonfire and instead take material to a waste and recycling site.
“If you do choose to have a bonfire, then ensure it is built well away from trees, foliage and other property. Pay attention to the weather, including wind direction, and never leave it unattended.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.