UPDATE: Delays on M11 northbound near Stansted Airport after double decker bus catches fire
- Credit: Archant
Road users are advised that there are significant delays on the northbound M11 in Cambridgeshire after a double decker bus caught fire.
One lane remains closed, between junction 8 (for Stansted Airport) and 9 (the interchange with the A11). The incident has caused a partial closure of the northbound carriageway of the motorway.
There were no injuries reported.
Emergency services are currently on scene, and recovery is underway. Firefighters have attended, despite there being a national strike over pensions.
A spokesman for the Highways Agency said: “One lane is currently running past the scene, but there are considerable delays in the area. The motorway will fully reopen as soon as it is safe to do so but the closure is expected to last for several hours. Current delays are at least 60 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
“Drivers, and in particular those wishing to travel to Stansted airport are advised to plan their journeys and allow extra time to travel.”
Road users wishing to access Stansted and travelling on the M25 anticlockwise should consider taking the A12 to Chelmsford, then the A130 north to Braintree, and then the A120 westbound to Stansted. Drivers travelling on the M25 clockwise should consider taking the A1(M) and then the A1 northbound up to St Neots, then the A428 eastbound to Cambridge, where it meets the M11.
- 1 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 2 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 3 Revealed: almost 300 possible new development sites are submitted
- 4 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 5 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 6 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 8 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 9 Residents hand water to stranded drivers after fatal M11 crash
- 10 In pictures: Saffron Walden Round Table's Big Day Out
Traffic is being diverted locally at junction 7 on to the A414 northbound to Harlow and then westbound to Hertford. Join the A10 northbound to Puckeridge and then take the A120 eastbound to junction 8 of the M11.