UPDATE: Delays on M11 northbound near Stansted Airport after double decker bus catches fire
- Credit: Archant
Road users are advised that there are significant delays on the northbound M11 in Cambridgeshire after a double decker bus caught fire.
One lane remains closed, between junction 8 (for Stansted Airport) and 9 (the interchange with the A11). The incident has caused a partial closure of the northbound carriageway of the motorway.
There were no injuries reported.
Emergency services are currently on scene, and recovery is underway. Firefighters have attended, despite there being a national strike over pensions.
A spokesman for the Highways Agency said: “One lane is currently running past the scene, but there are considerable delays in the area. The motorway will fully reopen as soon as it is safe to do so but the closure is expected to last for several hours. Current delays are at least 60 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
“Drivers, and in particular those wishing to travel to Stansted airport are advised to plan their journeys and allow extra time to travel.”
Road users wishing to access Stansted and travelling on the M25 anticlockwise should consider taking the A12 to Chelmsford, then the A130 north to Braintree, and then the A120 westbound to Stansted. Drivers travelling on the M25 clockwise should consider taking the A1(M) and then the A1 northbound up to St Neots, then the A428 eastbound to Cambridge, where it meets the M11.
- 1 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 2 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 3 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 4 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 5 First day at school after beating Covid-19 while being treated for cancer
- 6 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 7 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 8 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 9 Walden church open and taking part in Thy Kingdom Come
- 10 Former Mayor looking forward to lockdown easing
Traffic is being diverted locally at junction 7 on to the A414 northbound to Harlow and then westbound to Hertford. Join the A10 northbound to Puckeridge and then take the A120 eastbound to junction 8 of the M11.