UPDATE: Names of family in tragic Harlow house fire released
THE family who died in a house fire this morning (October 15) have been named.
Mother Sabah Usmani and her children Sohaib, 13, Hira, 11, and Rayyan, 6, were pronounced dead at the scene while Maneeb, 9, later died in hospital. A fifth child remains in critical condition and a man was treated for minor injuries.
Firefighters were called to a house in Barn Mead, Harlow, at around 1.40am where they were faced with a “rapidly developed fire”.
Police say they are treating the fire as suspicious.
Senior investigating officer Det Sup Rob Vinson said: “This is the still the early stages of our investigation into the tragic death of five members of one family, a mother and four of her young children. At this time we are investigating to see whether this fire was started deliberately and need anyone with information to contact us.
You may also want to watch:
As fire crews arrived at Barn Mead at around 1.40am they also found a car alight a short distance away in a car park. This car is not connected to the family involved in the house fire. However, this car fire is being treated as arson. The house will be forensically examined by specialist scientists to find how and where the fire started.
Det Supt Vinson added: “For the sake of the family, who are trying to come to terms with this tragic incident, I would ask for information from the public, especially in the Harlow area, to help us determine exactly what has happened.”
- 1 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 2 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 3 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 4 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 5 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 6 Walden church open and taking part in Thy Kingdom Come
- 7 First day at school after beating Covid-19 while being treated for cancer
- 8 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 9 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 10 Market Square event organisers "amazed" at popularity of dine-out event
Anyone who was in the area of Barn Mead in the early hours of Monday who has any information has been asked to contact Essex Police on 101.