US president to fly into Stansted?
PRESIDENT of the United States Barack Obama could fly into Stansted Airport when he attends an economic summit at the end of the month. Heads of state from 20 of the world s leading nations will gather in London for the G20 summit on April 2. Mr Obama s v
PRESIDENT of the United States Barack Obama could fly into Stansted Airport when he attends an economic summit at the end of the month.
Heads of state from 20 of the world's leading nations will gather in London for the G20 summit on April 2.
Mr Obama's visit to the UK - his first trip to Europe since his inauguration - starts on March 31 and he is expected to travel through the Essex hub.
According to The Telegraph, the president and his wife Michelle will travel on Air Force One to Stansted rather than Heathrow to try and avoid causing delays at the country's busiest airport.
You may also want to watch:
Following George Bush's visit to the capital in June, when Heathrow passengers faced significant delays, airlines have requested that it does not happen again.
A spokesman for Stansted Airport said: "Nothing has been confirmed and I believe that there are various options being considered by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
- 1 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 2 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 3 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 4 No end of the line in sight for Audley End CrossCountry cancellations
- 5 Back to the drawing board for Radwinter Road retirement homes
- 6 Things to do on the May Bank Holiday weekend: Essex gardens are open
- 7 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
- 8 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 9 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 10 Firefighters rescue woman after town centre collision
"At present there are no confirmed plans and all points of arrival are being looked at including London airports and military airfields.