US senators drop into Saffron Walden pub
- Credit: Archant
A Saffron Walden pub received a surprise visit from three Republican US senators after a chance meeting with the landlord in the Market Square.
Jeff Leach, landlord of the Old English Gentleman in Gold Street, was stopped and asked if he could recommend a good pub in town on Wednesday, July 13.
Mr Leach told the American tourists that his own pub would be happy to accommodate them, and telephoned ahead to tell his staff to expect some visitors from overseas while he went to the bank.
On his return, he got chatting to the group and discovered his patrons were James M Inhofe, senator for Oklahoma, Roger Wicker, senator for Mississippi and Pat Roberts, senator for Kansas, along with their wives.
The US politicans had attended the Flying Legends Air Show at Duxford at the weekend, and their flight back to America had been delayed due to an issue with their plane.
The Saffron Walden landlord was pleased to be able to accommodate the American visitors as well as give them their first taste of a pork pie.
Mr Leach said: “I was just on my way to the bank and an American guy asked me where the market was. I told him the market is only there Tuesdays and Saturdays and he was disappointed.
- 1 Stage times for Simple Minds' Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 2 Items worth three-figure sum 'stolen' from Holland and Barrett
- 3 Have your say on plan to build 233 homes in Saffron Walden
- 4 Sir Tom Jones stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 5 Uttlesford District Council to take part in energy rebate scheme
- 6 Saffron Walden Community Shed saves the day for charities in need
- 7 Elbow stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 8 Alice in Wonderland cast announced for Bridge End Gardens performances in Saffron Walden
- 9 No Stansted Express trains for five days in August
- 10 Simple Minds set for Audley End concert ahead of releasing new album Direction Of The Heart
“He then asked if I knew a good pub in town and I said they were welcome to visit mine. I got stuck at the bank for about 20 minutes but when I got back I got chatting and found out who they were.
“They were over here for the air show at Duxford and were supposed to fly back the day before from Stansted but there was a problem with their military plane so they had a day to kill.
“They were all very nice, although they winced when I said I liked Hilary Clinton as they’re all Donald Trump supporters.
“They liked the food, and mentioned how they had never had a pork pie before. When I asked for a picture, they said, ‘No, we want a picture with you, we love it here.’”