Uttlesford benefit fraudster pays the price
- Credit: Archant
A BENEFIT claimant who failed to notify Uttlesford District Council of a change in her circumstances has been left counting the cost of her dishonesty.
Alice Hedley, 30, received Housing Benefit to help her pay the rent on a property in Newbiggen Street, Thaxted.
But magistrates in Chelmsford heard that she failed to tell the council when she moved to another address in North Street, Great Dunmow, with her partner.
As a result she continued to receive Housing Benefit for the property in Thaxted and was paid £3,081.12p she was not entitled to.
The court heard that her dishonesty only came to light when the new owners of her previous home informed the local authority they had moved in so they could register to pay council Tax.
You may also want to watch:
Hedley, who admitted benefit fraud, will have to repay the money in full.
She was also granted a conditional discharge for the period of 12 months and ordered to pay the council £300 towards the costs of the court hearing.
- 1 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 2 Revealed: almost 300 possible new development sites are submitted
- 3 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 4 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 5 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 6 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 8 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 9 Medical practice moving this week, and former £1.4m base attracts offer
- 10 Residents hand water to stranded drivers after fatal M11 crash
Councillor Robert Chambers, Uttlesford District Council’s portfolio holder for finance and administration, said: “The council is committed to paying benefits to those residents who are entitled to them.
“However, we have a duty to protect the public purse and as a result we take a zero tolerance approach to anyone who commits benefit fraud.”