UTTLESFORD: Beware cold callers offering security survey
POLICE and trading standards are issuing a joint warning to residents in Uttlesford to be wary of alarm system salesmen who are using high-pressure tactics. The advice comes as officers have discovered unethical salespeople have been targeting resident
POLICE and trading standards are issuing a joint warning to residents in Uttlesford to be wary of alarm system salesmen who are using high-pressure tactics.
The advice comes as officers have discovered "unethical" salespeople have been targeting residents in an attempt to sell alarm systems.
They are making initial contact by telephone, stating they are conducting security surveys and applying pressure to fix an appointment.
Once invited into unsuspecting people's homes, they are using scare tactics, inflated crime figures and photographs of elderly victims of violent assault in an attempt to force home a sale.
Crime reduction advisor, Peter Caulfield, said: "If you are considering installing an alarm, then contact me for independent advice on some of the security systems available. Never invite sales people to visit following a 'cold call'."
Peter Caulfield can be contacted at Saffron Walden on 0300 333 4444.
- 1 Red, white and blue: Royal theme for Saffron Walden windows
- 2 Suffocating plants to be stripped out: Jubilee Pond makeover
- 3 Platinum Jubilee: Uttlesford street party and activities
- 4 Saffron Striders impress, Thompson strikes gold
- 5 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 6 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
- 7 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 Hidden secrets, free medals, live jazz for Platinum Jubilee
- 9 Debbie Bland Foundation launched in memory of kind mum
- 10 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
Members of the public are advised to contact Essex Trading Standards should they have any concerns with equipment they have already bought.