UTTLESFORD: Beware cold callers offering security survey
POLICE and trading standards are issuing a joint warning to residents in Uttlesford to be wary of alarm system salesmen who are using high-pressure tactics. The advice comes as officers have discovered unethical salespeople have been targeting resident
POLICE and trading standards are issuing a joint warning to residents in Uttlesford to be wary of alarm system salesmen who are using high-pressure tactics.
The advice comes as officers have discovered "unethical" salespeople have been targeting residents in an attempt to sell alarm systems.
They are making initial contact by telephone, stating they are conducting security surveys and applying pressure to fix an appointment.
Once invited into unsuspecting people's homes, they are using scare tactics, inflated crime figures and photographs of elderly victims of violent assault in an attempt to force home a sale.
You may also want to watch:
Crime reduction advisor, Peter Caulfield, said: "If you are considering installing an alarm, then contact me for independent advice on some of the security systems available. Never invite sales people to visit following a 'cold call'."
Peter Caulfield can be contacted at Saffron Walden on 0300 333 4444.
- 1 Motion of no confidence - may be held behind closed doors
- 2 New outreach Post Office for community
- 3 Uttlesford businesses 'disappointed' with Freedom Day delay
- 4 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 5 In pictures: Medieval landmark Walden Castle is restored
- 6 Saturday recital to mark 200th anniversary of Thaxted organ
- 7 Classical BRIT Award-winning Jess Gillam to play Saffron Hall
- 8 Caught on camera: Motorcyclist feared for life in near-miss
- 9 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
- 10 Draft plans for 49 new Thaxted homes unveiled
Members of the public are advised to contact Essex Trading Standards should they have any concerns with equipment they have already bought.