UTTLESFORD: Beware cold callers offering security survey
POLICE and trading standards are issuing a joint warning to residents in Uttlesford to be wary of alarm system salesmen who are using high-pressure tactics. The advice comes as officers have discovered unethical salespeople have been targeting resident
POLICE and trading standards are issuing a joint warning to residents in Uttlesford to be wary of alarm system salesmen who are using high-pressure tactics.
The advice comes as officers have discovered "unethical" salespeople have been targeting residents in an attempt to sell alarm systems.
They are making initial contact by telephone, stating they are conducting security surveys and applying pressure to fix an appointment.
Once invited into unsuspecting people's homes, they are using scare tactics, inflated crime figures and photographs of elderly victims of violent assault in an attempt to force home a sale.
You may also want to watch:
Crime reduction advisor, Peter Caulfield, said: "If you are considering installing an alarm, then contact me for independent advice on some of the security systems available. Never invite sales people to visit following a 'cold call'."
Peter Caulfield can be contacted at Saffron Walden on 0300 333 4444.
- 1 Tracking Covid at the Sanger Institute
- 2 Saffron Walden constituency MP on the road map out of lockdown
- 3 Covid-19 breaches at Stansted Airport
- 4 Awards for pandemic heroes launched
- 5 Containerlift supports laughter and supply chains
- 6 Essex: Climate change top priority for residents
- 7 District council is not investing in arms trade, say councillors
- 8 Quakers ask district council to reverse decision as investment row continues
- 9 Cam Valley to broadcast a special Mother's Day service
- 10 Fun for virtual World Book Day 2021
Members of the public are advised to contact Essex Trading Standards should they have any concerns with equipment they have already bought.