Uttlesford councillor in the running for Stoke-on-Trent parliamentary candidacy
- Credit: Archant
An Uttlesford councillor is hoping to receive the nomination as Conservative parliamentary candidate for Stoke-On-Trent South – a seat which currently holds a marginal Labour majority.
At a special meeting in Stoke this evening (Thursday), Councillor Jonathan Rich, who has been a district councillor for Stansted North since 2007, will run against three other prospective Conservative candidates for a total of three positions – Stoke-On-Trent South, North and Central.
“It has been a very competitive process over the past few months, and for me to get into the final four for Stoke on Trent is great,” said Cllr Rich, whose three children go to school in Saffron Walden.
Each of the four candidates will give a presentation and answer questions in a Q&A before the candidacy for Stoke-On-Trent South – as well as the two other constituencies in Stoke – are put to a vote. Labour currently has a majority of 4,000 in the seat Cllr Rich is targeting.
“There’s a very, very strong reaction against Labour locally. Their majority has been getting more marginal as time goes by.
You may also want to watch:
“I would like to see the district council run in a much more business like manner, more like Uttlesford.
“I think there’s a big contrast between how Uttlesford is run and how Stoke-On-Trent is run. I would like to do everything I can to bring in sound, business-like management.”
- 1 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 2 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 3 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 4 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 5 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 6 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 7 Saffron Striders' Mark Coutts runs from Paddington to Bristol instead of letting the train take the strain
- 8 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 9 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 10 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
To find out more about the elections, visit stokeconservatives.com.