Uttlesford District Council sets up working group for Tour de France
- Credit: Archant
A working group has been set up in Uttlesford to oversee and support the Tour De France when it races through the district next year.
The district council’s cabinet agreed the formation of the group, which will be chaired by Cllr Howard Rolfe, cabinet member for Communities and Partnerships.
Representatives from relevant partner organisations and town/parish councils will be invited to join the working group.
The members have also set aside £20,000 in the 2014/15 budget to help fund and support this prestigious and international event.
Cllr Rolfe said: “We recognise that this event requires a level of support which will ensure that everyone will be able to capture this fantastic elite sport on the day and come away with a lasting legacy which may inspire those to get involved with sport and activity.
You may also want to watch:
“We want to make sure that it is as successful as the Olympic Torch Relay, which passed through the district in 2012.”
The group will comprise relevant members and officers including the chief executive, assistant director community engagement, emergency planning officer and community partnerships manager.
- 1 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 2 Outdoor spaces help Uttlesford reclaim some normality
- 3 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 4 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 5 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 6 Robin Hood pantomime to celebrate Harlow Playhouse's 50th birthday this Christmas
- 7 Purse stolen from shopper's bag in Aldi supermarket, Walden
- 8 National award and recognition for work of a laughter specialist
- 9 Saffron Walden book giveaway on The Lorax's 50th birthday
- 10 'Not now, Bernard' - Children's concert to open Saffron Walden Symphony Orchestra's new season
They will meet on an ad hoc basis to ensure the event is a success and that maximum benefit is achieved for the district.
The Tour de France cycle race will be passing through Saffron Walden, Sewards End, Radwinter, the Sampfords and Felsted on Monday, July 7. The Tour de France organisers will be responsible for the majority of the logistics associated with this event.
More information on road closures and alternative routes will be made available over the coming months.