Uttlesford election countdown - town council hotspots
- Credit: Archant
In just two weeks ballot papers will be piling up in black boxes across the district, as constituents cast their votes on who will represent them over the next four to five years.
Last week the Reporter revealed the candidates for the 22 district wards, with six different party colours battling for the 39 seats, as well as a number of independent contenders.
Unlike the differing hues of district and national politics, parish and town council candidates are mostly unaffiliated with a political party – with some notable exceptions.
In Uttlesford, only eight of the 65 electoral areas are being contested, meaning candidates of the 57 remaining wards are councillors elect – and will take up their positions following the count on May 8.
The fiercest battles on a parish level are likely to be in Saffron Walden, where three of the four wards are contested.
Here party colours are out in full force, as sole Liberal Democrat town councillor Mike Hibbs will attempt to hold on to his seat in Audley ward, and Residents For Uttlesford make a bid to increase their presence on the predominantly blue council.
Town and parish councils have distinct responsibilties from those at district and county level. From this week, Saffron Walden Town Council (SWTC) takes on the running of the town’s public toilets. They are also in charge of Bridge End Gardens, Dorset Close and Jubilee Gardens, all of these previously run by Uttlesford District Council.
- 1 Man in court over alleged 'fox-killing' during Puckeridge Hunt
- 2 Solar farm application decision is deferred
- 3 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 4 School activities and sports in pictures
- 5 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 6 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
- 7 Post Office: change of location in Newport
- 8 Dane's 10 day walk home with only a backpack
- 9 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
- 10 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
Both the Town Hall and Golden Acre Community Centre are managed by SWTC, as well as allotments, the Tourist Information Centre, and the town’s bustling market.
To find out more about the elections, go to uttlesford.gov.uk