Uttlesford launches series of free cycling proficiency courses for the over 50s
- Credit: Archant
Uttlesford District Council has launched its series of free cycling proficiency courses for the over 50s who are thinking of returning to the saddle.
Focussed on those who perhaps haven’t cycled for a few years, or who would like a confidence boost before heading back on to the open road, the course is in two parts.
An initial three-hour Level 1 session covering safety and basic maintenance took place on June 6 at the Lord Butler Leisure Centre in Saffron Walden. The course leaders are able to assess and repair any minor issues with your cycles on site.
It will be followed this week by the Level 2 session where riders will put what they have learned into action and be assessed on the road.
Community outreach officer Paul Goddard said: “The first of our two sessions was a great success, and all of those that attended are keen for session two to roll around so that they can hit the road. We hope that anybody inspired to get back in the saddle will get in touch and sign up for future sessions.”
You may also want to watch:
All sessions will be run by Cycle Training East with the assistance of UDC. Riders should bring their own cycle and safety equipment and a light snack and drink for the second session.
There will be two more rounds of the course, one in late July and the last in early September. For information, or to register your interest in one of the upcoming courses, contact Mr Goddard on email@example.com or on 01799 510585.
- 1 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 2 Outdoor spaces help Uttlesford reclaim some normality
- 3 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 4 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 5 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 6 Robin Hood pantomime to celebrate Harlow Playhouse's 50th birthday this Christmas
- 7 National award and recognition for work of a laughter specialist
- 8 Purse stolen from shopper's bag in Aldi supermarket, Walden
- 9 Saffron Walden book giveaway on The Lorax's 50th birthday
- 10 'Not now, Bernard' - Children's concert to open Saffron Walden Symphony Orchestra's new season