Uttlesford MP Sir Alan Haselhurst questions the need for a new Sainsbury's superstore in Saffron Wal
SAFFRON Walden MP Sir Alan Haselhurst has questioned the need for a new superstore in the town. Sir Alan held a meeting with Sainsbury s developers at his Parliament office on Tuesday in light of the supermarket giants plans to build a 44,000sq ft store
SAFFRON Walden MP Sir Alan Haselhurst has questioned the need for a new superstore in the town.
Sir Alan held a meeting with Sainsbury's developers at his Parliament office on Tuesday in light of the supermarket giants' plans to build a 44,000sq ft store on the Granite Site, Thaxted Road.
During the hour-long discussion, he said that traffic will be a major factor because customers will not use the bus.
"I have not seen nor heard of any objections or outrage yet so the plans seem to be okay," he said.
You may also want to watch:
"My job is to reflect the opinion of my constituents and make sure that the people making the decisions near the top know of any concerns should there be any.
"I do not have any problems with the idea at this stage, but if people lobby me that may change."
- 1 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 2 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 3 No end of the line in sight for Audley End CrossCountry cancellations
- 4 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 5 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 6 Things to do on the May Bank Holiday weekend: Essex gardens are open
- 7 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 8 Back to the drawing board for Radwinter Road retirement homes
- 9 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
- 10 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
He insisted that the �1.4million heritage quest centre, which is earmarked for the same site, should be built without any further delays and indicated that a petrol station for the site would still be a good idea if at all possible.