Uttlesford re-launches free Newport health walks
NOW that the Easter weekend is behind us Uttlesford District Council he re-started its free ‘Health Walks’ in Newport to help residents burn off all those chocolate calories.
The walks, which start every Tuesday and run from April to September at 6pm, are part of the cuncil’s walking programme. Anyone wanting to take part should meet outside the surgery in Frambury Lane, Newport.
The council’s health walks co-ordinator, Paul Goddard, said: “There are a whole variety of different walks to enjoy around this gem of a village, including parts of the Roman Road.
“They’re free of charge and they’re quite physically challenging, but we never walk further than three miles.
“There’s no need to book in advance, but if you’re joining us for the first time we will ask you to fill out a simple health questionnaire, so arrive 15 minutes before the walk is due to start.”
The council runs ‘Health Walks’ in a number of other locations across the district, including:
• Felsted - Walks start from the car park next to Lindsells Post Office in Station Road on Monday mornings at 10.30am
- 1 Man in court over alleged 'fox-killing' during Puckeridge Hunt
- 2 Solar farm application decision is deferred
- 3 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 4 School activities and sports in pictures
- 5 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 6 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
- 7 Dane's 10 day walk home with only a backpack
- 8 Post Office: change of location in Newport
- 9 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
- 10 Uttlesford new development could be triple the size of one refused
• Saffron Walden - Walks start from the Swan Meadow Car Park (next to the pond) on Thursday mornings at 10am
• Stansted Mountfitchet - Walks start from outside Stansted Mountfitchet Library on Friday mornings at 10.30am
• Hatfield Heath – Walks start from outside the surgery in Broomfields on Friday mornings at 10am
• Great Dunmow - Walks start from the Dourdan Pavilion Car Park on Wednesday mornings at 10.30am. These are two-part walks for different levels of fitness – the ‘Basic Health Walk’ is one mile in duration and takes participants in and around the Recreation Ground and the optional ‘Intermediate Health Walk’ is two to three miles of more challenging walking around the town’s environs
• Thaxted - Walks start from outside the surgery in Margaret Street on Tuesday mornings at 10am
• Hatfield Forest - Walks start from the main entrance car park on Thursday mornings at 9.45am. These walks are a joint venture with The National Trust along forest footpaths and open grassland. Please be aware cattle are roaming free.