Uttlesford’s police inspector to take on 100-mile cycle challenge to raise money for Help for Heroes
- Credit: Archant
Uttlesford’s top cop is to take a day off from chasing criminals to tackle a 100-mile charity cycle challenge instead.
Inspector Colin Cox, based at Saffron Walden police station, is raising money for Help for Heroes by taking on the Prudential Ride London-Surrey on August 10.
He said: “I was lucky enough to gain the much converted green beret and served 10 years with the Royal Marines, before joining the police service in 2002. Not only did this provide me with once in a lifetime experiences but also a host of very cherished memories. I had the privilege to meet some close friends and am proud to have had to opportunity to serve.”
Insp Cox added: “Help for Heroes is a fantastic charity which not only provides support for wounded service personnel but also their families.
“For many the conflicts are now over, but their personal battles have just started. By supporting Help for Heroes we can show our gratitude to those men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice and to those who will have to live with the scars and injuries suffered whilst serving.”
You may also want to watch:
The event starts in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, and then follows a 100-mile route on closed roads through the capital, made famous by the world’s best cyclists at the London 2012 Olympics, and into Surrey’s countryside.
To donate, there are charity boxes in the front counters of both Saffron Walden and Dunmow police stations, plus a number of Help for Heroes’ wrist bands which are available for a £2 donation. Insp Cox also has a charity fundraising page at bmycharity.com/colincox
- 1 Extension lead warning after fatal fire in Saffron Walden
- 2 Saffron Walden Town through in FA Vase after dramatic ending
- 3 New solar farm policy 'ducks the main issues', say campaigners
- 4 What is the government's Plan B for Covid this winter?
- 5 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 6 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 7 From Star Wars to Cambridge Arts Theatre... Actor Ian McDiarmid talks about The Lemon Table
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 Gardeners behind the best-kept Saffron Walden allotments named
- 10 Walden's Crocus Medical Practice opens within community hospital