Uttlesford tops best district council poll
- Credit: Archant
Uttlesford has the best district council in the country, says a recent poll conducted by the Daily Telegraph.
The newspaper compiled a list of the best twenty councils, based on where homeowners “are likely to get the benefit of good local services”, as well as property prices.
Uttlesford District Council (UDC) came in second of all councils, and first in the district category - the only council in Essex to make the list. The service is said to be run “with quiet competence by a council sensitive to local concerns”.
“The district council adopts a refreshing approach to the sympathetic development of old buildings, as well as to the preservation of green open spaces,” says Justin Godfrey of Savills Bishop’s Stortford.
“It is always alert to the bigger picture when planning large housing schemes,” added Mr Godfrey, quoted in the article.
Council Leader Cllr Howard Rolfe said he was very pleased at the ranking.
“While the article is based on someone’s view, it is nonetheless a suitable acknowledgement of the hard work and dedication of officers and members – and is something we and our residents should be proud of.
- 1 In pictures: Successful return of Walden's Late Night Christmas Shopping
- 2 In pictures: Santa's sleigh is in Saffron Walden
- 3 Family tribute to much-loved mum and grandma who died during Thaxted fire
- 4 Essex report into Covid deaths and residents with learning disabilities
- 5 District council: Free car parking between Christmas and January 3
- 6 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 7 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 8 Essex drink driving figures revealed as police launch Christmas crackdown
- 9 Fire safety measures approved for Harlow council homes
- 10 Linton has festive fun lined up at annual Christmas market
“However, we cannot become complacent and must continue to strive towards delivering to our residents the high quality services that they have come to expect.”
Do you think Uttlesford deserves its top ranking? Have your say by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.