Vandals draw huge penis on croquet lawn
MEMBERS of Newport Croquet Club have been left “disheartened” after a series of vandalism attacks on the club lawns.
A fortnight ago the club suffered attacks on two of its three lawns. The thugs broke into the premises through the fencing and spilled the contents of a drum of concentrated liquid fertiliser onto lawn number. They also daubed obscene graffiti - a picture of male genitalia - on lawn three.
The estimated cost of the damage is �200.
This week the club suffered another break-in. This time the vandals turned and left on the watering hose, flooding lawn one.
“We have had a big struggle to get good lawns this year, mostly because of the long period of snow coverage followed by the long dry spell,” said a club spokesman. “A lot of club members have put in a lot of work and it is disheartening to see our efforts abused in this way.
You may also want to watch:
“Croquet is not an elitist game and the club would welcome anyone who would wish to come along and learn the game.
“We would also welcome any information from anyone who may be able to shed some light on who might be responsible for the damage.”
- 1 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 2 M11 targeted in week of motorway protests
- 3 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
- 4 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 5 Covid booster jab sessions due to start at Lord Butler
- 6 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
- 7 Circuit star William Gilbank sets sights on professional sport
- 8 'Enjoy a slice of Essex on hospitality day', says culture chief
- 9 Appeal to find Stansted teen, missing for five days
- 10 Saffron Walden all set for big green festival
Anyone with information can contact police by calling 101 or 0300 333 4444, or calling Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.