VIDEO: Imperial War Museum Duxford stars in Hollywood film The Monuments Men
- Credit: Archant
Hollywood film The Monuments Men, which opens to UK audiences next Friday, was partly filmed on location in Duxford.
Director George Clooney is joined on screen by an acclaimed ensemble cast, many of whom were at Imperial War Museum Duxford for the filming, including Matt Damon (Ocean’s Eleven, The Bourne Identity), Cate Blanchett (The Lord of the Rings, Elizabeth), Bill Murray (Lost in Translation, Ghostbusters), John Goodman (Argo, The Big Lebowski), Jean Dujardin (The Artist) and Hugh Bonneville (Downton Abbey).
Filming at Duxford was a large-scale operation, involving not only the leading actors, but also over 300 extras, over a nine-day period.
Filming took place across the museum, including the north side of the site, which is not open to the public, but houses IWM’s collections within historic buildings that made up the domestic side of the RAF fighter station.
Second World War aircraft and vehicles were brought to the museum to act as props and set dressing for the scenes. IWM Duxford’s historic buildings, control tower and airfield significantly featured in the filming.
You may also want to watch:
The Monuments Men opens in the UK on Friday, February 14.
- 1 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
- 2 Walden Wombles hold their first litter pick
- 3 Draft plans for 49 new Thaxted homes unveiled
- 4 Caught on camera: Motorcyclist feared for life in near-miss
- 5 Linton pupils join 362,000-strong school choir
- 6 The number of Indian variant Covid cases in Uttlesford
- 7 New interim chief executive for district council
- 8 Saffron Walden young triathletes dominate at national qualifier
- 9 Things to do in June - from open gardens to live music and dancing
- 10 Mental health trust fined following 11 deaths