VIDEO: Imperial War Museum Duxford stars in Hollywood film The Monuments Men
- Credit: Archant
Hollywood film The Monuments Men, which opens to UK audiences next Friday, was partly filmed on location in Duxford.
Director George Clooney is joined on screen by an acclaimed ensemble cast, many of whom were at Imperial War Museum Duxford for the filming, including Matt Damon (Ocean’s Eleven, The Bourne Identity), Cate Blanchett (The Lord of the Rings, Elizabeth), Bill Murray (Lost in Translation, Ghostbusters), John Goodman (Argo, The Big Lebowski), Jean Dujardin (The Artist) and Hugh Bonneville (Downton Abbey).
Filming at Duxford was a large-scale operation, involving not only the leading actors, but also over 300 extras, over a nine-day period.
Filming took place across the museum, including the north side of the site, which is not open to the public, but houses IWM’s collections within historic buildings that made up the domestic side of the RAF fighter station.
Second World War aircraft and vehicles were brought to the museum to act as props and set dressing for the scenes. IWM Duxford’s historic buildings, control tower and airfield significantly featured in the filming.
You may also want to watch:
The Monuments Men opens in the UK on Friday, February 14.
- 1 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 2 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 3 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
- 4 Circuit star William Gilbank sets sights on professional sport
- 5 Essex Austin Seven Club takes in Saffron Walden on tour
- 6 Appeal to find Stansted teen, missing for five days
- 7 Saffron Walden triathletes doing themselves and their clubs proud at championships
- 8 More restrictions set to be scrapped in Boris Johnson's winter Covid plan
- 9 Temporary council chief costing more than £1,000 per day
- 10 Dramatic pictures show extent of three north-west Essex farm fires