Video: Warning against dangerous driving
A STARK warning against dangerous driving has been given out to youngsters ahead of Valentines Day. Using video website YouTube, Essex County Council has today (Monday) launched a campaign aimed at discouraging young male drivers from showing off in their
A STARK warning against dangerous driving has been given out to youngsters ahead of Valentines Day.
Using video website YouTube, Essex County Council has today (Monday) launched a campaign aimed at discouraging young male drivers from showing off in their cars to impress their girlfriends.
Councillor Norman Hume cabinet member for highways and chairman of casualty reduction board, said: "It is a fact that more young females aged 17-19 years are killed or seriously injured while travelling as passengers in cars than as drivers.
"Through this hard-hitting campaign we are reminding young people of the terrible dangers and consequences when things go wrong on the road.
You may also want to watch:
"We don't want to spoil the romance of this time of year but we know from experience that this kind of message works and would like to ask young male drivers to take special care of their female passengers - and to point out the particular dangers that young females face as passengers."
The film is designed to give no clue about what actually happens driver and his passenger, but the girl is left fighting for her life on a hospital bed as hard hitting slogans 'More Girls die as passengers than as drivers' and 'Don't hurt the one you love' appear on screen.
- 1 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 2 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 3 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 4 No end of the line in sight for Audley End CrossCountry cancellations
- 5 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 6 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 7 Things to do on the May Bank Holiday weekend: Essex gardens are open
- 8 Back to the drawing board for Radwinter Road retirement homes
- 9 Stop Stansted Expansion campaign group to rebrand
- 10 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
Three events over the next three days will give young people the chance to experience for themselves how they can be distracted whilst driving. They are at:
Braintree College on February 9 at 11am to noon
Upper Plume School, Maldon on February 10 at 1.15 until 2pm
Harlow College on February 11 at 11am until noon.