Video: Warning against dangerous driving
A STARK warning against dangerous driving has been given out to youngsters ahead of Valentines Day. Using video website YouTube, Essex County Council has today (Monday) launched a campaign aimed at discouraging young male drivers from showing off in their
A STARK warning against dangerous driving has been given out to youngsters ahead of Valentines Day.
Using video website YouTube, Essex County Council has today (Monday) launched a campaign aimed at discouraging young male drivers from showing off in their cars to impress their girlfriends.
Councillor Norman Hume cabinet member for highways and chairman of casualty reduction board, said: "It is a fact that more young females aged 17-19 years are killed or seriously injured while travelling as passengers in cars than as drivers.
"Through this hard-hitting campaign we are reminding young people of the terrible dangers and consequences when things go wrong on the road.
"We don't want to spoil the romance of this time of year but we know from experience that this kind of message works and would like to ask young male drivers to take special care of their female passengers - and to point out the particular dangers that young females face as passengers."
The film is designed to give no clue about what actually happens driver and his passenger, but the girl is left fighting for her life on a hospital bed as hard hitting slogans 'More Girls die as passengers than as drivers' and 'Don't hurt the one you love' appear on screen.
- 1 Uttlesford Local Plan delay 'necessary' say councillors
- 2 Debden man fundraising for Mind with 480km walk
- 3 Teen arrested for 'terrorism offences' at Stansted Airport
- 4 Wenden Junior Cricket Club embrace new cricket season
- 5 Tea party celebrates Saffron Walden Museum volunteers
- 6 Uttlesford new development could be triple the size of one refused
- 7 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 8 The Railway Arms awarded CAMRA county pub of the year
- 9 Essex Eagles hit Glamorgan hard in Vitality Blast best
- 10 Barclays closing branches in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
Three events over the next three days will give young people the chance to experience for themselves how they can be distracted whilst driving. They are at:
Braintree College on February 9 at 11am to noon
Upper Plume School, Maldon on February 10 at 1.15 until 2pm
Harlow College on February 11 at 11am until noon.