Violin bow rescued from rubbish heap fetches £3,600 at auction
- Credit: Archant
A VIOLIN bow found in a pile of rubbish, due to be thrown away from a garage in Cambridgeshire, has been sold for £3,600, by Sworders Fine Art Auctioneers.
The discarded bow was discovered along with a violin in a dilapidated case covered in mildew. At the sale in Stansted Mountfitchet, Essex, on Wednesday March 13, the bidding rose fast, and competition in the room continued to push the price up.
It’s thought that the bow was produced in about 1900, and is considered to be an early example from the highly prized bow makers, W E Hill & Son. It belonged to the estate of a vicar and despite being found in a damp garage, seemed to have escaped with only superficial damage.
Sworders’ managing director, Guy Schooling, said, “This violin was listed on the website ahead of the sale and shows the considerable power of the internet in drawing people to our auctions. This bow was bought by a music teacher who was delighted with his purchase.
“We make every effort to advertise widely what is coming up in our sales and viewing for our weekly interior auctions every Wednesday starts from 2pm the day before when catalogues are also available. These hugely successful sales can prove a fabulous place to find some unexpected treasures and come complete with a buzzing atmosphere.”
You may also want to watch:
The next Interior sale at Sworder’s auction rooms in Stansted Mountfitchet is on March 20 at 10am.
- 1 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 2 Revealed: why some Uttlesford car park machines no longer take cash
- 3 County council promises arts boost for Essex
- 4 First birthday celebrations for Railway Arms in community ownership
- 5 Affinity in hot water with residents after sediment build-up in homes
- 6 Pets' Corner: Ben Fogle's plea over Bonfire Night
- 7 Official opening held for new air ambulance base
- 8 It's pumpkin picking season again at Cammas Hall Farm as Halloween approaches
- 9 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 10 5 of the best wedding venues in Essex