Volunteer receives honour for helping patients during pandemic
- Credit: Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust (PAHT)
A volunteer who has helped patients take part in video calls with their loved ones during the pandemic has been recognised with a British Empire Medal in the New Year’s Honours list.
Joanne Busson has volunteered with the virtual visiting team at the Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust since March, delivering messages from relatives and friends to patients, and setting up video calls.
She has previously carried out volunteer work for the hospital’s partner charity the Anne Robson Trust, offering comfort and support to patients nearing the end of their lives.
Joanne said: “I feel incredibly honoured to have been awarded such a special and prestigious award.”
Phillipa Haslehurst, voluntary services manager at PAHT, said: “Five days a week Joanne volunteered, delivering the messages to a loved one and also managing the virtual visits made every day.
You may also want to watch:
"Her compassion and care is second to none and she is completely selfless."
- 1 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 2 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 3 Spurs partnership with Walden clubs is a first in UK
- 4 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 5 This week's paper: Saffron Walden Reporter on July 29, 2021
- 6 £7.5 million cash package sought for new A120 business park
- 7 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 8 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 9 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 10 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100